Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam vs Unitrends

Post by zak2011 »

I happened to get a mail from Unitrends comparing Veeam vs Unitrends and highligting the cons and just one advantage of Veeam.
http://www.unitrends.com/resources/comp ... ise-backup

Honestly, it was quite strange and funny to read the so called disadvantages of Veeam, according to Unitrends which seemed to be published without a proper grounding.
For example..one of the points was 'Single point of failure for Veeam's backup repository. Does not back up Veeam server'.
I dont understand how this can be a disadvantage, when one follows the best practices stated out in the forums.
Another point is about data encryption. First its mentioned Veeam does not support encryption and then it states in another point, veeam supports encryption but only data in flight and not for data in rest
After going thru all the list of so called disadvantages of Veeam, it seems to me that Unitrends may need to do much more homework before putting up product comparisons.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam vs Unitrends

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Always funny to see how a 25 years old company with 4'000 customers is trying to convince us they have a better solution than 5 year old company with 75'000 customers (and on track to over 90'000 by the end of this year) ;)
lethallynx
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Justin Kirkby

Re: Veeam vs Unitrends

Post by lethallynx »

I particularity love the line
The non-integrated nature of Veeam leads to finger-pointing among the server, storage, networks, operating systems, and data protection (backup, archiving, and disaster recovery) software vendors when a problem occurs.
Maybe that's because this is usually where the problem usually lies?

How can they call Veeam non-integrated? Doesn't get much more integrated than using the vSphere API .....