Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabriMWare
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gabriel Gisbert Aznar

Veeam Vs VMWare-HA

Post by GabriMWare »

Hi!
I think that the answer is Yes, but I'm not completely secure.
Can I perform veeam back up using HA on my VM's in vSphere 4 infrastructure? I mean, is this way to perform backup completely secure or may I have got problems?

By the moment I'm performing it without activating HA service, and it has been always Ok.

I supose that it's completely secure, but somebody said me that this way is not correct or insecure.

Thanks for all!!
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Re: Veeam Vs VMWare-HA

Post by Bunce »

What do you mean by secure? Security doesn't really have anything to do with either...

But yes, Veeam backups and HA are pretty much independent. VMWare HA can restart a VM on a different host, so as long as your backup jobs aren't 'host-dependent' then you should be OK. ie. If you're backing up using Virtual Center VM's or folders then you should be OK.
GabriMWare
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gabriel Gisbert Aznar

Post by GabriMWare »

When I refer to "secure" I mean that If you're using HA it has to be a process independent from the Veeam service. I'm thinking that If veeam tries to require data from VM and it is being replicated continously in other hosts it could make some mistake in the copy service, that's all.

Thanks for your answer!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

Because with shard storage Veeam is capable of retrieving VM data directly from your storage, actual VM placement (host) does not matter for us.