Veeam: Whoops your backup restore chain is corrupted

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Veeam: Whoops your backup restore chain is corrupted

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Gostev wrote:...storage-level corruption guard feature...

Gostev,

Where would I go to configure the Corruption Guard feature?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Veeam Logoby tdewin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm

You can find it here : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (part of the advanced settings under the storage section)
tdewin
Veeam Software

Liked: 361 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks!
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Veeam Logoby Mike72677 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I've been dealing with a Backup Copy Job issue where the monthly checkup would say there is data corruption and a possible storage I/O issue. I've had a case open with support for 2 - 3 months now. Last steps I took were to wipe out the data set, start a new one and have the Health Check to run daily. So far no issues, but also so far no reason/cause for the issue. Disks at the repository all test out fine and no I/O issues being reported by the OS.
Mike72677
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike T

Veeam Logoby larry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 pm 3 people like this post

Had lighting hit the roof, though the AC to server room, jumped to my server, cooked the server. Don’t care who made the unit as it was melted. That is why I do two local backups to two different servers, one remote backup and tape every night, throw in SAN snapshots both local and remote as well. For the tape job I backup to disk then files to tape to keep extra days of restore points on tape and to have it its own backup job. To me my most important data is the current data which I always have 3 or more copies of, all their own backup chain. We use SAN integration so we only send data off site once and backup from SAN snapshots at both sites. I need to sleep at night. After using Veeam for years I have never had a corrupted backup but still...
larry
Expert

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Veeam Logoby Martin Damgaard » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm

arosas wrote:We ran into something similar. We use long term retention on disk with GFS copy jobs. We ended up removing the data from backups, then re-importing manually into Veeam. This allowed us to run restore against the "supposedly" corrupt data. The problem with this is we now have to manually manage the old data and manually delete expired data. You will also have a new chain to start with an active full so when running restores you would need to look in two places for the data which is not a burden. It's not a solution but at least it's a workaround should you need to run restores against it which worked in our case.

Veeam support was really good with working with our storage vendor, finding the issue and issuing a patch to the storage array Exagrid. Although it took extremely long for this investigation and patch process to happen, it worked out in the end.

THIS, is exactly what we have experienced too!

Something have gone rotten somewhere in the pipe. No fingers pointing at Veeam, probably Power shortage, network problems, cosmic rays, whatever...
Everything checks out at repository as OK (Experienced this on ZFS based, Linux based NASses, and MS Windows repositories - both locally and offsite), and i am 100% certain this is NOT due to HW failure! Diskchecks, checksums, scrubs, etc. all shows no problem with the volume or VBK files.

Anyway, result is a broken backup chain. OK no problem, i can live with loosing the latest backup chain (because this is a long term archival GFS storage).
Missing a couple of days, weeks, even a month or two worth of archive backups, i can live with.
But not being able to somehow manually discard/delete or ignore the missing part of the chain, until the GFS scheme catches up, is really a pain in the bottom hole!

- Martin
Martin Damgaard
Influencer

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Damgaard

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication