Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3253 times

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Issues

Post by Gostev » Aug 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Can you please clarify why would you want to use both VSS and these scripts? I cannot imagine such scenario. Based on what you say above, you are using Windows 2000 which does not have VSS capabilities at all?

Also, no one typically deploys more than one production application app per VM, so it is very unlikely that someone will have (for instance) both Exchange and Oracle running on the same VM. Thus, scenario when someone would want to use Veeam VSS for Exchange but scripts for Oracle (on the same VM) is extremely unlikely. Do you agree?

Just to set some expectations: theoretically, it should be possible for our VSS integration code could call those scripts, but the priority of this feature would be very low given what I explained above. Remember, we have to prioritize each feature in our pool of 100+ pending features. :wink:

tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2144 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I think it might be useful in cases where applications are not VSS aware. There are still many such applications running in our environment. Also, VMware Tools quiesce seems to be the worst of all options for any database type application. We still have a Windows 2000 server that runs Filemaker 5.5 server, and a Pervasive SQL database. Using VMware Tools quiesce creates database files that only restore about 25% of the time without performing some type of manual recovery. When we choose to not use VMware Tools quiesce the files are always able to be recovered automatically (similar to after a crash).

withanh
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh » Aug 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Another wish-list item I just thought of is the ability to do mailbox level restores. Even message level restores. Right now our Exchange is not virtualized so we are still using BackupExec to back it up. This gives me the ability to go back in time and pull even one individual email out of someone's mailbox and restore it.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Aug 19, 2009 10:38 pm

Darhl, this feature is already in our roadmap. I particularly like it because it allows us to leverage great Exchange expertise our dev team has. Many of us come from Aelita Software, which used to be leading Microsoft management vendor (we were named Microsoft's Partner of the Year 2 times!), and we used to make best tools for Exchange management. And one of our products was all about Exchange message-level recoveries ;)

withanh
Expert

Post by withanh » Aug 25, 2009 11:33 pm

Sorry, been tied up. I'm glad to hear about the Exchange backup integration. Is that possibly a feature for the 4.x release? <color me hopeful>

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am

May be :D

withanh
Expert

Post by withanh » Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

:D

If we're current on support, does that include software upgrades, or is it a new purchase to go to v4?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Aug 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Yes, all upgrades are "free" for customers on maintenance, including major releases. Since all new license purchases include 1 year of maintenance, you should be fine.

ErikSi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by ErikSi » Aug 28, 2009 7:13 am

A wish list item for me is to quickly see which vm servers are backup up. Now i have to go in each job to see which vm's are in the job.
So maybe some kind of list with all the servers and in which job they belong..

Erik

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am

Erik, that's an easy one. :D

We already have such report in Veeam Backup 4.0 web UI.
And you can export it's content (as any other report) into Excel too.

real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by real_tarantoga » Oct 15, 2009 7:10 am

Gostev wrote:Can you please clarify why would you want to use both VSS and these scripts? I cannot imagine such scenario. Based on what you say above, you are using Windows 2000 which does not have VSS capabilities at all?
oracle 8 may crash not only on win2k (it was a hard lesson to learn for me ;) ) using vss without using a pre-freeze script which will set the db in online backup mode.
Gostev wrote:Just to set some expectations: theoretically, it should be possible for our VSS integration code could call those scripts, but the priority of this feature would be very low given what I explained above. Remember, we have to prioritize each feature in our pool of 100+ pending features. :wink:
The concerned (medical) db system is not portable at this time to a higher oracle release or os version. so, I repeat the question: will there be the possibility in the future release to launch pre or post backup scripts?

ps: I just switched our backup method away from ic cider to veeam backup - thank you for the almost perfect software. :mrgreen: :!: - r_t

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Oct 15, 2009 10:29 am

Yes, we will add this in the future releases. We are planning some minor modifications to VSS component down the road, and this is when we could add this functionality as well.

withanh
Expert

Post by withanh » Dec 30, 2009 3:32 am

Hey Anton,

Is this still a valid wish list thread? I have an idea I'd like to see in the scheduler. Right now I can only schedule daily by the week, but in our backup scheme, we plan on taking a separate full backup on the last Saturday of the month to take as our offsite backup. So more flexibility in the scheduler. Kind of like how BackupExec handles scheduling. If you're not familiar with that I can take some screenshots to send so you see how it looks.

Thanks!

h

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Dec 30, 2009 8:38 am

Hi Darhl, yes I have BackupExec, no worries. We are adding monthly schedules to the next release. Thank you :)

withanh
Expert

Post by withanh » Dec 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Great to hear!