Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Realworld
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Realworld

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Issues

Post by Realworld »

in addition to the monthly issue, we take weekly and monthly backups offsite. We do this using 4 weekly NAS devices and 4 monthly NAS devices. This means that the monthly or weekly that is in house, is never the same as the week before. Can it be made that that is also not necessary? or that you can make scheduled copies of the fe. weekly backup to a weekly device? Right now we have to manually copy all the backup files to either the weekly or the monthly backup NAS. It would be great if that is not necessary anymore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Unless I misunderstood something, I see it as a post-job script that checks the day of the week and copies the VBK file to the corresponding storage - this provides for fully automated process.
gareth
Lurker
Full Name: Gareth Whitcomb

Post by gareth »

Can I second one of the original requests in this thread, would be great to see in v5! :wink:
Enable me to do a grandfather, father, son rotation without scheduling 3 different jobs and having 3 different huge fulls hanging around.
Additionally, We are making much greater use of thin provisined disks now. I'd like Veeam to give us the option of replicting thin disks to thin disks. Currently, thin disks seem to transform into thick disks after replication, meaning we are wasting a lot of space at our DR site.

Many Thanks,

Gareth
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

gareth wrote:Additionally, We are making much greater use of thin provisined disks now. I'd like Veeam to give us the option of replicting thin disks to thin disks. Currently, thin disks seem to transform into thick disks after replication, meaning we are wasting a lot of space at our DR site.
This feature is a part of v5 release.

By the way, please note that this topic is pretty old (over 1 year old), and we had 1 major and 1 minor release since it was first created. So it no longer has up-to-date information on issues (some are already addressed). I recommend that future readers look for the feature they are interested in using forum search, as many of them have dedicated discussions which reflect actual feature status.
pizang
Enthusiast

Post by pizang »

We are doing D2D2D backup. Backup is first stored to local SAS attached storage and then copied (using robocopy) to remote location using 1GB/s fiber link. We have near 3TB of data so we would like to have a nightly replication instead of simple copy. It would be great to use Veeam for this. Veeam already has information how to change previous full backup to current one.
Nautilus
Influencer
Full Name: Nauti

Post by Nautilus »

to new possibilities please

1. To change the IP configuration when i start failover for a replica? Because we are using a routed netzwork between 2 sites

2. When i creat a backup or replica job between 2 sites, so i have to give a destination Host. I need an option to create a group of Hosts, because we have more than 1 host an booth site. So when one of the Host is not reachable, so veeam backup change to the next host. All the Hosts are the same Storage konfiguration.

Thanks
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by vmbackupuser »

Bulk Field Change: to improve usability
VeeamBackup v5 should include a 'Bulk Field Change' on the context menu for users wanting to modify the same field in multiple jobs. eg. the 'Enable email notifications for this job' field, among other fields.

Export Job Logs:
An option should be provided on the context menu of each job to export all its logs as it relates to that specifc job & the VeeamBackup core services. This will streamline the capture of logs for support calls, rather then users currently having to sort through the entire directory of Veeam logs.
pierpaolo.degrandis
Novice

Post by pierpaolo.degrandis »

1. I'd like that multiple job starting together have to be queued and not working silmutaneously.

2. I'd like to have an option where I can select something like "create a vbk file for every VM".

This because I need to store the vbk file to tape for archiving.
The vbk file now can became thousand of gigabyte, so if I need to restore a old VM or a file contained in a VM archived, I need to restore this vbk file. So I need to have thousand of gigabyte of free space on disk (to restore a small file).

Thanks
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

So far just one thing that I'd love to have and hear from Veeam, that is the Tape backup support.
then Veeam is completely versatile tool in virtualization disaster recover process.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are not planning on implementing support for writing backups directly to tape. We for one believe there are much better options than tapes available today, and even more will be available tomorrow. Those customers who need tape backups because this is what they are doing today (and unwilling to change the infrastructure and processes already in place) can definitely continue using their existing tape backup tool to store Veeam backup files to tape. Since version 2, we have made it very easy to trigger tape backup job after Veeam backup job is completed.

We will however invest heavily in perfecting disk based backups, and facilitating those "other options" for off-site data archival. You can expect some features around this appearing very soon.

I will lock this thread now since it is very old, and most information here is outdated already, but people keep bumping it up :D