Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DXS_Matt
Novice
Liked: never

Re: VeeamAgent.exe multi-threading

Post by DXS_Matt »

I'm going to stick my nose in this thread really quick in the hopes I can get someone to see that Veeam really does need multi-threaded I/O streams.

I have a 3 host cluster, which currently houses 81 Windows 2003/2008 virtual machines.
We're a Dell Certified Partner, and are required to have an Equallogic PS6000 array in our environment to show to customers.
The Equallogic is fully multipathed to the iSCSI network, and our Veeam server is a Dual Quad-Core R610 with HyperThreading and 12GB of RAM.
Our Veeam server is directly connected to our backup destination with 10Gb ethernet, and uplinked to the iSCSI network with 2 1Gb connections.

On a 50GB NTFS volume located on the Equallogic we saturate both uplinks with a simple file copy. 95% - 100% utilization until the copy is finished, so I know my network adapters and switches are tuned properly. The Equallogic MPIO drivers are fully working as well. However, when Veeam performs a read operation on the SAN during a backup, my 2 1Gbps uplinks to the iSCSI network never hit above 50%. So the question is, why can't Veeam saturate my uplinks when it's obvious that everything is tuned correctly? My guess is the lack of multi-threaded I/O.

Gostev, care to chime in on this one?

Thanks,
Matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matt, since I've seen single quad core CPU server to create bottleneck at about 50MB/s during full backup (which is 50% of single 1Gb link), your dual quad core CPU server with dual links should also bottleneck at about twice more, meaning 50% of dual link (or 100MB/s). Try dropping compression level to low and running full backup again to see if this helps.

If however CPU does not look very busy and target storage is not a bottleneck, you may want to review sticky FAQ for some iSCSI optimizations which helped other customers were able to get close to link saturation with SCSI storage. Especially if you are using Windows 2008 server for Veeam.

Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Actually, I think he's indicating that he's getting close to 100MB/sec since he's getting 50% utilization of two links. My suggestion would be to run two jobs simultaneously and see how close you get to saturating the links. If you get only a minimal improvement, then you're probably topping out the machine, but my guess is you'll see something closer to 75-80% utilization.
bc07
Enthusiast
Full Name: Enrico

Post by bc07 »

After troubleshooting and "fixing" my backup performance issues, Veeam now also performances well with our EMC Clariion which is not optimized for single-thread sequential read. It reads from there with almost 200MB/s when doing a full backup. That is without changing anything on source or target storage or connection from/to it.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Well, why don't you share with us what you "fixed". It might be valuable information for others.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

...or it did not happen ;)
turnerggg
Lurker
Full Name: Greg Turner

Post by turnerggg »