Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
grantemsley
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Grant Emsley

Verify existing passwords for encryption

Post by grantemsley » 1 person likes this post

It would be really, really nice if in the Manage Credentials screen, there was a "Verify" password right under Edit. That button would prompt you to enter the password and verify that it matches. Right now the only way I've found to make sure I have the correct password is to try to open a backup file with the extract tool. That only works for some backup methods though - I haven't found a way to make sure the password is correct for object storage or NAS backups.

Having all our backups encrypted is great for security - but it would be really nice to make sure the passwords we think are used to decrypt them are correct! In a disaster where our veeam server (and enterprise manager if using that) are gone, we're really going to need those passwords, and I worry someone might have screwed up entering the password into veeam or our password manager, and that the two might not match. Being able to easily test that once in awhile would give me some extra peace of mind.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Verify existing passwords for encryption

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Grant.

Noted as feature request for future versions.

However:
- The eye icon does reveal real entered password when it's being created in the first place, so chance for mistake diminished.
- Say we add "Verify". You have your encrypted backups with the key of choice. You click "Verify" and it says "Wrong!". Kind of late, huh?
- Last but not least, Veeam Enterprise Manager can export decryption keyset in case you have lost an original passphrase. That must be configured in advance.

Thanks!
grantemsley
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Grant Emsley

Post by grantemsley » 2 people like this post

Thanks!

> Say we add "Verify". You have your encrypted backups with the key of choice. You click "Verify" and it says "Wrong!". Kind of late, huh?

Nope, because I can test it BEFORE I need to do a disaster recovery. If I find out the password is wrong now, we can either figure out the correct password and update our password manager, or set it to the correct password and start new backups right away. If i'm verifying it after the disaster has happened, well them I guess I'm in trouble, but that's on me.
lee.rivas
Veeam Software
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Lee Rivas

Post by lee.rivas »

+1 for encrytion verification
utleyab
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Abbie Utley

Post by utleyab »

+1 for encryption verification
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

+1 for encryption verification. Would be really nice to see this feature - I always tell all Veeam users to encrypt their backups with a stern warning not to forget that password. This would give a great means of verification. Another scenario is when you take over a Veeam environment from a previous employee. Yes, you should be doing restore tests, but this would be a quick and easy method to at least ensure you have the right encryption key before going down the path to fully testing backups.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social