Version 10 - vsphere API for I/O filtering - well done VEEAM

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Version 10 - vsphere API for I/O filtering - well done V

Veeam Logoby johnlong » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 am

leizerbeam wrote:interesting feature request... since CDP is replicating each I/O transaction (or almost every transaction) synchronously - i wonder what your RPO expectations are to backup targets (which are typically slower than primary)? Do you expect improved RPO to… sub hour or sub day (how many hours exactly) to backup targets?

If there are too many changes to write to the target, the changes are queued. If the queue is exceeded then it will trigger a synchronization, and you might loose part of that point in time until it can catch up. Most likely the bottleneck will be the WAN. If you have a WAN connection fast enough to replicate in real-time (CDP) then you probably have the budget for fast storage at the target site.

With fast enough storage and WAN links you should be able to achieve an RPO of seconds even during peak usage.

At least this is my understanding of how it will work with VEEAM CDP.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Liked: 11 times

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:21 am

John,

While not everything is written in stone yet, we are looking into various ways to catch queues and to make sure that you don't loose part of that point in time. But as said, it is not written in stone yet so until we are further in the development and we have done some serious testing I can't give much details as they might change

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 366 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby StevenMeier » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 am

luved the Veemon conference this year.(went from New Zealand)

Really excited for CDP as we have customers that require this sort of critical Backup.

An as a cloud Service provider , being able to provide this level of "security" without having to use the SANS to do this is awesome.

One thing I cant remember from this was the VMWARE versions CDP will support...

Can you remind me.

Cheers
Steve
StevenMeier
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Meier

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 am

Hi Steven,

Thanks for liking the VeeamON conference. We were also pretty excited about it :-)

The VAIO libraries are available since vSphere 6.0 U1. However, we didn't announce system requirements for Veeam CDP yet and we will only be able to announce those close to release, when our stability testing is done.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 366 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

[MERGED] CDP

Veeam Logoby gingerdazza » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Interested to see the deployment of Veeam CDP using the VAIO framework. Sounds good on paper. Is it anticipated that CDP will be able to protect multiple VMs in a single consistency group? Or can it only protect individual VMs? Also, will there be PIT rollback capabilities? - I'm thinking something like Zerto's journal capability to roll back a failed over VM to any point in the last x days with 5 sec granularity.

Thanks
gingerdazza
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dazza

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm 1 person likes this post

Some information about this functionality can be found in this thread, while more details will be available upon release.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication