Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddores
Novice
Liked: never

Version 6 Restore to OpenFiler/Linux Server

Post by ddores »

Hi - maybe someone has an idea here -

I'm trying to get the quickest (non-instant recovery) restores in our network. I've read a couple of other posts that indicate that performance is great going from a backup to a Linux host, including OpenFiler.

I can't get it to work. I can enable SSH on the OpenFiler, and I can add the OpenFiler host to the list of servers within Veeam. I can even create a backup repository within Version 6 pointing to the OpenFiler Box.

No matter what I do, I can't get the OpenFiler to show up in the servers list when I'm trying to setup a "VM Files" restore.

Am I missing something? In the documentation that I've read for 6, it doesn't mention Linux targets for "VM Files" restore - so maybe that got dropped from an earlier version?

Any help appreciated.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Version 6 Restore to OpenFiler/Linux Server

Post by tsightler »

With V6 I'm not even sure all those steps are required, especially if you use hotadd for your restores. Previously there were some limitations when performing restores because the VM had to be written either via an agent on the ESX console, or via "agentless" mode via the ESXi management. The agent was reasonably fast, but the "agentless" mode could be slow. With V6 it seems that network restores are faster, but, based on your infrastructure, using hotadd restores can really fly since they're writing the data through the storage stack. What type of performance are you seeing?

I just checked, and sure enough, Linux systems don't show in the list when selecting "VM File" restore under V6, only Windows systems and ESX(i) hosts. I think this is probably a bug, but it's possible it was dropped intentionally, although I don't know why it would allow you to restore the files to Windows systems and not Linux systems.
ddores
Novice
Liked: never

Post by ddores »

Hi - thanks for the quick reply!

Should RTFM sometimes - didn't even know about the hotadd restores. I did manage to get 110Mb/sec using a split agent hotadd restore.

In this case, the openfiler box feeds to an ESXi host over a single NIC. In this case also, I had enough local disk to run a test to get the super-duper speeds, but I'm going to test the same thing over the single NIC into ESXi flowing through to the openfiler NFS repository, but I'm guessing it's going to be a straight 1/2.

I'd still like to push directly with an agent into the Linux side, just due to the configuration I'm stuck with -
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

I recommend that you contact support for assistance and have them investigate why OpenFiler does not show up in the servers list for you. Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Agreed, I think this is a V6 bug. Linux systems don't appear to show in the list when performing a "VM Files" restore.