Very slow file level restore and problem with permissions

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Very slow file level restore and problem with permissions

Veeam Logoby masonit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi!

Setup:

VMs on ESXi 5

Veeam Backup Server (6.5) and Veeam Proxy on same dedicated ESXi5. Proxy connected to iscsi storage with write speed ~350 MB/s. Everything connected with 10 Gbps. All backups are fine with Application aware.

When running file level restore from Veeam Backup & Replication and restoring to original location I reach staggering speed of 3 KB/s!. This is when restoring a folder of 20 MB with 50 files in it. The VM is a Windows server 2008 R2. Should it be this slow!? Other things like backup and restore of entire VM is fast with speed over 50 MB/s.

If I instead choose to "copy to" and "Preserve permission and ownership" the perfomance is better with 5-10 MB/s. But the permissions isen't preserved! I restore the files locally to Veeam backup server.

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Re: Very slow file level restore and problem with permission

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi, I just tried the same in my lab with RTM build, and I am getting about 15 MB/s transfer speed when restoring to original location. So, this looks like to be environment-specific issue in your case. I recommend opening a support case for further troubleshooting. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2380 times

Veeam Logoby masonit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Ok, thanks will do..

What about permissions. If I look in: C:\VeeamFLR\"vm" when the vm is mapped the permissions look ok. So the permissions is backed up. But when copy the files the permissions is lost.

I found this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=952&hilit=ntfs+permissions#p4377
But it doesn't work on windows server 2008.

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby masonit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Gostev wrote:Hi, I just tried the same in my lab with RTM build, and I am getting about 15 MB/s transfer speed when restoring to original location. So, this looks like to be environment-specific issue in your case. I recommend opening a support case for further troubleshooting. Thanks!

I think I have found the problem. When running a file level restore to original location. How is the files transfered to the VM?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Depends if direct network connection is available from backup server to the VM. If yes, than the file is copied normally over the network. If no, then the file is injected into the guest through ESXi host (using guest interaction API).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby masonit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:09 pm

Gostev wrote:Depends if direct network connection is available from backup server to the VM. If yes, than the file is copied normally over the network. If no, then the file is injected into the guest through ESXi host (using guest interaction API).

Ok then I haven't solved it. :( I get good performance when the backupserver and vm is on the same subnet. The slow perfomance is with guest interaction API, 3 KB/s! Is that all I can expect?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm

May there is some issue with the host causing this. While the guest interaction API is definitely much slower than direct network operation, you should still be seeing at least 1000 times faster speed than you do :wink: Please open a support case for investigation.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 am

Yes, 3KB/sec ridiculously slow. I've typically seen speeds anywhere from 1-5MB/sec with the API, although sometimes faster.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1787 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby masonit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 am

Any ideas why permissions isen't retained?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am

No idea. Please open a support case for troubleshooting.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby masonit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Gostev wrote:Depends if direct network connection is available from backup server to the VM. If yes, than the file is copied normally over the network. If no, then the file is injected into the guest through ESXi host (using guest interaction API).

If direct network connection is availble. How do Veeam Backup server "connect" to the vm. Using the vm:s name as DNS name? Or maybe trying to connect with ip-adress?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Veeam backup server uses VM's DNS name resolved to IP address to connect to the VM.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby masonit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Veeam backup server uses VM's DNS name resolved to IP address to connect to the VM.

Is there away around this? Can't Veeam get the vm:s ip-adress through vmware tools?

We plan to backup many vm:s that belong to many different domains. It is not possible for the Veeam server to resolve all the vm:s dns names...

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I see that my last post was a bit confusing, my bad. Let me clarify it - Veeam backup server selects IP via VMware tools and then uses this information for the backup/restore jobs, so you shouldn't have problems with multiple domains.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby masonit » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:I see that my last post was a bit confusing, my bad. Let me clarify it - Veeam backup server selects IP via VMware tools and then uses this information for the backup/restore jobs, so you shouldn't have problems with multiple domains.

If using u-air and I want to restore some sql items. Does it also then use vmware tools to get the ip-adress of the production vm?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication