Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

.vib files but no .vbk files?

Post by lrhazi »

I discovered that about 25% of my backup data is consumed by backup files that have no .vbk files with them!
It looks like old VMs that we dont actually have any more... How would this happen? and is there a Veeam cleanup process that can find and clean them up?
or do I just go ahead and do it on my own?

What I mean is that in the repository folder, I see files, in a sub-folder named after a backup job:
<VM Name...>.vib
<VM Name...>.vib
<VM Name...>.vib
<VM Name...>.vib

But no: <VM Name...>.vbk
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: .vib files but no .vbk files?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if your jobs are green, then all relevant backup chains have .vbk files. As you did not mention errors, I guess that everything is okay in your environment.
How would this happen?
usually when customers manually try to "free up disk space" or any scripting issues customers do. But I don't expect it for your environment, as you did not mention any issues.

Just a guess: is it possible that you use a scale out repository in performance mode? that means that vbk and vib are usually spread over multiple extents.

Hint: if you click in the backups section -> disk -> job name -> properties, then you can see the path of all the backup files (copy path button)

Best regards,
Hannes
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thanks HannesK.

Looking at the VMs involved... I don't seem to find any, that is currently part of the corresponding backup job!
So it seems all of these files belong to VMs that are no more part of the job or the job itself does not exist anymore...
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

And yes, we do have 3 extents in our SORB... but I cannot check the GUI as you suggest, because as I said, none of these files/VMs appear to be part of any current Jobs I have, and that I can browser in the GUI.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

the same button applies also to backups under "Disk (Imported)". That's where all backups are listed, that do not belong to a job anymore.

I mean this setting in SOBR: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

No, SOBR is using "Data locality" option.
Only one VM is listed under "Disk (Imported)", and looks to be a good backup, with a single file which is a full backup.

Thanks a lot.