Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

VIB Viewer

Post by mkaec »

I would like it if there was a way to see what files were referenced inside a VIB file. This wouldn't be used for restoring, but would be helpful to troubleshoot larger than excepted incremental backups and help diagnose why that is occurring.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VIB Viewer

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marc,
VMs data is backed up in data blocks. Even if timestamp in file was changed, the whole data block will be part of VIB.
For monitoring and troubleshooting I would suggest VM Change Rate History report. It allows to track backup and replication jobs whose backup files and replica VMs grow too fast and may quickly consume storage space on the target repository or target datastore.
Thanks
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

I know that the data is backed up in blocks. Knowing what files those blocks belong to could help in setting up exclusions. For example, Exchange Server produces a large volume of log files that could potentially be excluded.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Got it. The thing is if you have large block size (Storage optimization setting), several applications/file can share same data block. So "tracker" will have deviations.
Anyway, thank you for the feedback. The request is taken into account.
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

Thanks.