Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
THECLOSER
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mark myers

virtual disk missing

Post by THECLOSER »

I am trying to restore a veeam full backup. it failed on every mode even FLR saying that the virtual disk are missing. the size of the backup is 160gb making me believe the disk are in tha backup and veeam is not seeing them. im using version 7 with the patch. thier is 11 backups for this vm 2 full and 9 rollups. they all give me the same error. i can complete the instant restore but the end results is a vm with no disk. so it boots saying no OS found. it is a 2003 windows enterprise vm. please let me know if you have any workarounds. Thank you Mark
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: virtual disk missing

Post by veremin »

Hi, Mark.

Are there any disk exclusions specified in the job settings? Or can this disk be pass-through virtual disk, independent one ore one that is connected via ISCSI protocol?

Also, I’m wondering what happens if you try to restore the said disk, using “Restore VM hard disk” option. Thanks.
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

I get the same results with entire vm restore as instant. the job completes but the disk with the OS is missing. there are no drive exclusions setup in backup script. Im not sure what you are asking about the disk. I do not remember if it was independent mode or not. it was built using the normal process. new vm, install 2003 from iso. mostly default settings
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

the restore VM disk shows no disk in list,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you still have source VM to check what type of disk is this? I would also suggest opening a support case to see what is going on based on the logs review.
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

I have opened a case. How long does it take for them to call back.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Depending on your support level (Standard or Premium) and case severity. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, it might be wort understanding whether or not the disk in question has been even backed up. In order to do so, you can go to the settings of VM and determine the type of the original disk. Otherwise, you can take a look at backup job statistics and see whether the said disk has been processed or not.

Thanks.
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

disk was thick provision lazy zero / virtual device node is scsi.
i checked the records on the veeam and is shows completed without error but also says size 160gb read 0 transferred 0 time to complete 43 seconda. does this mean that the backup never happend but veeam reported it did????
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mark, please open the job statistics window by right-clicking the job and selecting Statistics command, expand the window and click the VM in the list to the left. You should see the processing steps outlined to the right, there should be the reason of skipping the disk (looks like it was skipped).
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

foggy is their a way to upload a screenshot in this forum?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Sure, you can upload the image to any 3rd party web site and then use [img] tag to specify URL to the image.
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

please take a look at this screenshot every backup says it was complte. i had no disk excluded. but continental is showing 0 read and right?

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab25 ... d104db.jpg
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The more useful screenshot would be if you right-click the job in Veeam B&R console, select the Statistics command, expand the window, and select the continental VM in the list. Btw, have you heard back from support yet?
THECLOSER
Novice

Post by THECLOSER »

I do apreciate the help. the issue was it never backed up the disk. it just backed up the config files. it skipped the disk becuase it was a independant. i did not catch it becuase veeam gave me a backup without errors. i learned a huge lesson to test very backup. never ever believe the email notification saying your backup is good. i would of thought i would of got a finished backup with warning however that is not the case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The job session log should display the event of skipping independent disk (that's why I asked you for the screenshot). Btw, testing your backups for recoverability is indeed a very good practice (actually, a must!).