jwsl224
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: jared waldner

VM Backup Failed with File I/O Permission Error

Post by jwsl224 »

this is in regards to customer support case 06243190

hello,
i am having an issue where one of the VM's in a backup job failed because accessing the VM's VIB file failed.

here is the exact error message: 8/16/2023 12:34:29 AM :: Task failed. Error: Access is denied.
Failed to open storage for read/write access. Storage: [\\10.1.250.18\Machine Backups\Veeam\r430-1\FS1.aa48c7ee-423f-4cc5-952c-92fd311c10c7D2023-08-03T000005_75E2.vib].

here is additional information i've gathered on the issue:
1. the vib file mentioned in the error is present in the storage server.
2. the vib file mentioned in the error is located in the same folder as the other vib files for the other machines on the same job, and all of the succeed without issue.
3. i have made sure the permissions for all the files in the directory are the same by re-applying the file permissions at the parent directly level and applying them to all children. (the storage server is windows server 2019)
4. i have rebooted the storage server to make sure windows is not having an issue enumerating the file permissions.
5. all of the other VM's on the job are still succeeding with backup every day.

this all being the case, i am perplexed as to why this one VM all of a sudden started failing. would you have any thoughts on the matter? i realize i am using a free product, but i appreciate any help you can give me on the matter.

jared
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VM Backup Failed with File I/O Permission Error

Post by Mildur »

Hello Jared

Thanks for the case number.
Can you start restore a file from the latest backup of the FS1 server?
Without having access to your infrastructure it will be difficult to solve the issue. That's why we have our customer support team which have the tools to support you directly in your environment. Please wait for our support team to answer your case (free products gets support on best effort).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jwsl224
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: jared waldner

Post by jwsl224 »

could you elaborate on "restore a file"? i can't really mess with the vib files without messing with veeam's database on the machine backups, can i?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I meant to start a Guest File Level Restore of this server. See if the restore works or not.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software