Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lcfc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Davidson

VM Backup with iSCSI

Post by lcfc »

I'm curently evaluating Veeam B&R and have been running some successful backups at 380MB/s using CBT. I have selected Direct SAN access as this is a VM backup server but I have not installed the iSCSI initiator until now.

Within my ESX environment I have two hosts each with two Nics to iSCSI and two for production, and another for Vmotion. I believe I'm right in saying that this VM should have a seperate Nic for true LAN free backup? I have a vSwitch for iSCSi which is obviously seperate to the vSwitch for my production LAN. To achieve Lan free backup do I need to create a new vSwitch for iSCSI with a dedicated Nic (I have a spare) and add this to the VM backup server?

Similar to this article http://vstorage.wordpress.com/2011/02/0 ... 5-in-a-vm/

Or do I not need to worry about any of this. I'd like to hear how other people have configured there neworking within vSphere for this.

I curently have an HP MSA for storage if that helps?

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM Backup with iSCSI

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Gary,

I am not big iSCSI storage guru, but here is what I've been able to find so far. These topics describe commonly used practices from our existing customers:
iSCSI SAN backup method and connection
Network Question for Veeam Machine

On top of that here is another useful topic you should take a look at after setting everything up:
Improving direct-from-SAN backup speed with iSCSI

Hope this helps!
lcfc
Novice
Full Name: Gary Davidson

Re: VM Backup with iSCSI

Post by lcfc »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for the links, they do indeed help as it has confirmed my thinking on how to configure the Veeam backup server.
Gary
gshaw
Enthusiast
Full Name: Gerrard Shaw

iSCSI connection?

Post by gshaw »

[merged into existing discussion]

Just reading through some other threads is making me think I need to check this again...

I want to run Veeam on a separate physical server (brand new HP DL180 G6) which will be directly connected into the dedicated iSCSI network \ switches that go to our SAN. What I'm not sure about is whether I need a connection from each switch to the Veeam server or just one connection?

Granted the backup server won't have a redundant path to the iSCSI but will it work i.e. be able to see the SAN? Reason behind this is that I've only got 2 spare fiber cables to hook up to the other end of the building and I need the 2nd one for network access...