Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevin1979
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

VM Copy is super slow

Post by kevin1979 »

I have Veeam 6.5. I have a primary server in my main datacenter and then a proxy at a secondary location. I'm trying to perform a "VM Copy" at my secondary location. I'm trying to copy a VM to a different datastore for DR purposes. Both the VM and the new datastore are connected/using storage that is connected to the ESXi servers in my secondary location. When running the VM Copy, I am getting around 100KB/s and it says that the Target is my bottleneck. Why is it going so slow? The datastore is connected via FC so it shouldn't be slow. Any help with improving the speed would be greatly appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM Copy is super slow

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Kevin,

What is the upload speed of any file to the target datastore if you do this via vSphere Client? Btw, would like to copy this VM once or you would like to protect it on regular basis by having the latest state of this VM always available?

Thank you!
kevin1979
Influencer

Post by kevin1979 »

I just transferred a 3,092,500 KB file with the vSphere client from the computer that is the proxy at the secondary location in 2 minutes 18 seconds.

Yes, I would like it copied on a regular basis but don't want it registered with my ESX servers. Is this possible?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can setup a replication job and do this trick to skip VM registration step. Once you run the replication job, please tell me what your bottleneck stats are.

Out of curiosity, can you please tell me why you don't want to register these VMs in the VI?
kevin1979
Influencer

Post by kevin1979 »

Ok, I try setting it up that way. I don't want to register them because I don't want machines with the same/close to the same names showing up with vSphere.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, you can specify the suffix that will be added to the name of replica VM. Using meaningful suffix (“_replica”) will make distinguishing task much easier.

Thanks
kevin1979
Influencer

Post by kevin1979 »

Ran the replica and it processed at 29 MB/s the bottle neck stats are: Source 42%, Proxy 58%, Network 25%, Target 75%.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Also, you can choose to place replicas into their own folder and resource pool so that they are visibly segmented from the rest of your VMs in vCenter. This helps with identifying them even if they are registered.