VM stuck at "Getting VM info from vSphere"

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

VM stuck at "Getting VM info from vSphere"

Veeam Logoby mmcgrath » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Hi all -

Running latest build of versino 8 (8.0.0.917) and have been having an issue where single VMs within a replication job get stuck at "Getting VM info from vSphere" and the duration does not move either. This is happening almost daily, so not only do I have to babysit my daily jobs -- but my backup/replication jobs are not finishing. This specific replication job ran fine in version, but has been problematic in version 8. It has 52 objects in it.

Any thoughts?
mmcgrath
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Max McGrath

Re: VM stuck at "Getting VM info from vSphere"

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

Hi, Max. Please include support case ID for this issue, as requested when you create the new topic. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2318 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Max, does the job get stuck on the same VMs each time? Do you need to stop the job manually to resolve this? What about manual retries or Quick Backup performed against the stuck VMs? And yes, logs review is required, so please contact support for assistance with this.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:12 pm

I think we are also experiencing something like this... Backups start running, and will become "stuck" after a while. Our (virtual) Veeam Server will not respond anymore, (no rdp/console) and cpu usage is around 0. I then have to reboot the esx host where the veeam server resides, only after that i can remove snapshots on the vm's where the vm's are running... This has been since a few days, and dosen't affect all jobs. We ae using Hot Add
Veeam VM then must be unregisterd and reregistered. Upon start i notice the veeam server was actually still counting backup time in the jobs, but doing nothing...
I am off tomorrow and tuesday, but will create a Tcket on Wednesday.
For the meantime, i have quickly setup a physical veeam server and configured direct san access and am running full backups on all vm's now, hoping the most important ones finish until tomorrow morning :)
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby mmcgrath » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:27 am

Gostev, I apologize, I didn't know that was the protocol. I will open a support case tomorrow!

Foggy, it is generally 1 of 2 VMs -- but I have seen it be a number of different VMs. A lot of the time stopping the job will do nothing. I have been rebooting my Veeam server almost everyday to get jobs to "finish". I have never tried a quick backup against the stuck VM. As mentioned, I will open a case tomorrow.
mmcgrath
Novice

Veeam Logoby Primetrack » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi everyone.

We have exactly the same here since about two or three weeks.
Just opened a support case.

The VM's are failing randomly. Most with error 'Getting VM info from vSphere' and the lots of other errors like:

- Error: Agent with the specified identifier '{b3dc2fd8-e150-4b89-a693-955828c63b76}' does not exist. Agent with the specified identifier '{b3dc2fd8-e150-4b89-a693-955828c63b76}' does not exist.
- Error: Application is shutting down. Failed to download disk. Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Hope Veeam Support can help out soon.

Patch 1 is installed and did not help at all.

Regards
Primetrack
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Prime Track

Veeam Logoby mmcgrath » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Gostev, my support case ID is 00719911.

Max
mmcgrath
Novice

Veeam Logoby Primetrack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 am

Mine is: Case # 00719600
Primetrack
Novice

Veeam Logoby anthonysomerset » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 am

I had the same issue with one particular VM

i turns out when i logged into vSphere client, i had to answer a VM question about locked CD drive, once i answered that for the affected vm, things started progressing normally, not sure if that affects you guys but might be worth checking out
anthonysomerset
Lurker

Full Name: Anthony Somerset

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 am

Hi Anthony, just out of curiosity - what was that question about? Did you have an ISO image attached to the VM or it was something else?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1089 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby anthonysomerset » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:48 am 1 person likes this post

yes it was saying about locked cd tray and suggested that the VM might have locked the ISO for use and was asking if i wanted to remove the lock and disconnect the iso or not
anthonysomerset
Lurker

Full Name: Anthony Somerset

Veeam Logoby j.vanledden » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

same error.
my SupportCase ID 00735825

regards,
j.vanledden
Lurker

Full Name: J. van Ledden

Veeam Logoby Primetrack » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:46 am

It's really a strange thing.

Actually the support made already several remote sessions but could not resolve it yet.
We tried to disable CBT, Indexing, Guestprocessing, parallel processing... problem persists.
I turned it down that only one VM could write serial to the NAS... problem persists.

What I see is, that most jobs fail almost every time once. Some are on success state after retry 1 and some after retry 2.
But there are some VM's which are not backed up at all anymore.

Support added a registry key to the Veeam Server based on the following: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... (v=sql.105).aspx

It worked once because we backed up only one disk (out of five of this VM).. but now its not working anymore neither with all disks.
While testing this I came to the conclusion that I could split up this VM to backing up only one disk per job. So I added 5 new jobs (again with parallel processing, guest processing, indexing etc enabled!) and this night they were all but one on state success!
But this is the first full backup. Now I will see in this night if the normal reverse incremental backup is working also....
Primetrack
Novice

Veeam Logoby LarsWulf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 am

Hi everybody,

since 2 days now I experience the same/similar issue. Veeam on version 8.0.0.917

Randomly backup jobs start failing with looking up the vSphere info and afterwards I get the error: Agent with the specified identifier '{d67c4f38-6f11-4e67-ba0b-9a8ceb0cd9f2}' does not exist.
After this happened to the first VM in a job the rest of the VMs for this job will fail. But lucky me the first retry always was successful for all Jobs and VMs.

In my case it is not related to specific jobs or VMs. I have different jobs and VMs failing.
The strange thing is I just moved my environment to different more powerful physical Veeam servers on 21.01. after that I only had successful jobs. But suddenly after no changes to anything not even Windows updates or vSphere updates have been installed these error occurs. The only thing changed is the number of VMs to backup.

Support case is open: 00739800
LarsWulf
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lars Wulf

Veeam Logoby Primetrack » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:33 am

Like stated in my post before I splited one big VM into 5 different new jobs. Since then this VM is getting backed up again permantenly.
But other VMs still randomly fail.
Primetrack
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication