VMCE v9 - Another exam to take

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

VMCE v9 - Another exam to take

Veeam Logoby saintdle » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm 3 people like this post

I'm going to be honest, I like veeam as product, I have no issue with it. And hearing v9 is on the horizon is great as theres lots more features that will be coming out which will no doubt help when DR proofing a customers site.

However this poses a problem, as it means that I have to upgrade my VMCE status again.

Having done this back in March from v7 to v8, near the end of the 120 day marker before you need to take the course. I now look as if I'm going to have to do this again by the end of the year.

This means over all the exam has practically expired within a year, which isn't great if you ask me, you get two years on VCP and CCIE exams, and 3 years on CCNA/CCNP Exams,

Microsoft is variable due as per their release schedule for major products, as to when they upgrade the exams.

I thought I'd air my thoughts, I couldn't find an appropriate part of the forum to do it in
Senior Engineer
VMCE
Various other stuff
Personal Technical Blog - www.educationalcentre.co.uk
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

Re: VMCE v9 - Another exam to take

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Wed May 27, 2015 8:22 pm

My understanding of this is that Veeam want an powerful up to date channel that can consult Veeam customers the best way.

I understand the situation. I recommend to contact Emeric Pillet or your Veeam Channel or Partner Manager to discuss this situation.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 360 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Fri May 29, 2015 9:33 am

Same situation for me... Took the VMCE7 course (v8 was in beta state), passed the test (if I read the number correct, I'm one of the first 1000 VMCEs...), v8 got released and then got hit by the info that I'll have to take at least online courses for a new v8 certificaten. Passed the test this month on the 15.th (on the same day I received a mail that the time for certification has been extended....grrrr) and now the same: "hey v9 is knocking on the door, prepare for certification" ;-)
At the moment, Veeam is the product which consumes most of my time for certification during the year...
Microsoft MCITP? Done for 2008R2... certification persists, and I can decide on my own when I would like to take another exam for actual versions
VMware VCP5? Done the exam, needed to recertificate for 5.5 BUT!!!: this was a "whats new" exam, and not an copmplete exam. VMware 6 got released during my delta exam, but that didn't matter...

What about taking What's new courses and designing special tests for VMCEs? Also I found it very hard to deal with questions concerning storage snapshots. We don't have any customer out there with that hardware, so theres no practical knowledge about this. I understand that a VMCE has to be able to deal with all possible hardware designs... but... is there a way to simulate such an environment, as its possible with nested ESX installations?
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 am 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Just to assure you and all who will come following this thread, be assured we are already discussing internally this very topic, I just talked today with the Education Team and they are working on this topic, and they are also aware now of this thread. When anything will be finalized they will come here to give you an official answer, or through me.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1333 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Fri May 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Regarding Storage Integration...
HP StoreVirtual Appliance 1TB is for free
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdep ... r=VSA1TB-S
(same we use in vmce)

NetApp Ontap Simulator is also available, but I think you have to be a partner. Ask you NetApp representative or Distributor.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 360 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Ah, just came to post an update, but Luca has stolen my thunder ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Sat May 30, 2015 4:26 pm

I agree 100% with Saintdle on this. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the education, but I have a few serious issues with the VMCE certification, and the upgrade process that I we just finished going through. First was the lack of communication I received here in North America about the upgrade exam. I had asked about it 3 times prior to it being available in what, late January? Everytime I was told don't worry about it - "we will tell when it is available", and the last time wasn't all that friendly over the phone. So I didn't ask again. The end of March came and I still hadn't had a communication from Veeam's certification team, so I figured I had better ask again. By this point I was well into my busy season, and had less than 60 days to get the update done, which I completed with 4 days left... The entire process was poorly managed.

Second was the upgrade course its self. A 40 minute video of what is new, yet the VMCE8 "delta" exam had a significant amount of matter not covered / reviewed in the delta. The end of delta video test exam, which I got 80% without looking at the books or anything else did not led me to believe that the delta exam would be much different. Imagine my surprise when I took the test and found a boatload of stuff on it that I don't use on a daily basis, which meant I wasn't prepared for it (in all fairness, I didn't review any courseware before taking the "delta" exam) because I had focused very intently on the what is new stuff.

Third - the day after I passed my VMCE, I logged into Partner University and found that the full course-ware had been posted there along side the VMTSP course-ware. I saw no where in any of my communications that the full course-ware was available for V8. All the education people told me was that there was a delta course.

Fourth - apparently my vision of what a VMCE should be and Veeam's not the same. As far as I am concerned, the existing VCME is nothing more than a basic administrators course. To me a VMCE certification should be an architect based course, and the current course / exam an administrator course (or VMCA). As a ProPartner - Veeam should be expecting us to have a much higher understanding and comprehension of how to full design and plan the environment, not just click next, next, next, finish to install the product, which basically is what the current VMCE is.

If someone from Veeam is at HP Discover this week and would like to chat about my concerns in person - get ahold of me because I'd be happy to share my thoughts and concerns on this subject over a beer.

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:04 am

Hi Dean,
I will be at HP Discover, more than happy to discuss a bit on this on a beer :)
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1333 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:11 am

Luca - DM me on Twitter @deancolpitts.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby saintdle » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:07 pm

I won't be at HP discover, but dcolpitts has it right really.

I'm just unimpressed the fact my certification is expired within a year and because my company is a reseller, Im the one who has to sit it again.

also the upgrade course wasn't brilliant, but luckily I'd just done a few veeam v8 installs using the different options before the exam. However my role is more design work than day to day implementations and administration.

The name Veeam Certified Engineer is really the wrong name for the course/exam/accred. As really it's like its marketed after the MCSE, and there is a huge difference here, I'd say this exam is more like the VCA (fundamentals of technology) with a little bit of MCP (administration of technology) thrown together.
Senior Engineer
VMCE
Various other stuff
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Veeam Logoby k00laid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Just to continue and hopefully add, I love to see the focus on education that Veeam has started but it is easy to see where it will get overwhelming quickly. Considering the rapid release cycle and number of new features in each, would it be possible to do something like the delta exam VMware did for VCP5 to 5.5? Only require an online delivered exam and a lower price point for upgrades?

Maybe in this case we could call it a CBT exam? :)
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm of the understanding HP's certification group is looking into / considering forming a Partner Education Advisory Council consisting of their ExpertOne certification team and certified members of the ExpertOne program to help steer and strengthen their certification program. I think it is certainly something Veeam could easily emulate, and I believe Veeam would do well to reach out to HP, who has one of the largest certification programs in the industry for some tips and hints on how to make Veeam's certification program better not only for Veeam, but for partners and customers alike.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby saintdle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:10 am

I like both of the above replys

a V9 CBT exam ;) and the steering committee idea
Senior Engineer
VMCE
Various other stuff
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 am

As mentioned in this topic. This is currently on an internal discussion on how we will proceed with this. As soon as more information is known about this you will be informed asap. Keep the feedback coming!
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 328 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby AntonJVR » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 am

A question from my side. Will the VMCE training at VEEAMOn be on v8 or v9?
AntonJVR
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Anton J van Rensburg

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication