Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

VMs reboot after Instant Recovery

Post by guitarfish »

I run an Instant Recovery of all of my VMs, for testing purposes, on a weekly basis. The VMs, which are Windows Server 2012, reboot after being up for about 2-3 minutes. It is not a clean reboot, but instead the following entries are recorded:

Error – EventLog - 6008 – The previous shutdown was unexpected.
Critical – Kernel-Power - 41 - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first

After the reboot, the VMs stay up. This happens on all the VMs, and I would like to know why, as I don’t think this is expected behavior.

When I run the IR, I specify an alternate location, I do not redirect virtual disk updates, and I do not enable the NICs, so the IR runs independently of my production system. One additional thing I noticed is that when the VM first powers up, it shows “the previous shutdown was unexpected”, referring back to the time that the backup was taken. In reality, there was no shutdown at that time, according to the production logs.

I am running B&R v8, however this behavior also occurred with v7. These are on VMware ESXi 5.5.

I would appreciate any insights.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VMs reboot after Instant Recovery

Post by foggy »

Actually, dirty shutdown messages on restore are expected, see this post for details. Are there any specific applications installed on the affected VMs that could require reboot to repair themselves from the dirty shutdown? Is application-aware image processing enabled on the jobs?
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by guitarfish »

Foggy, application-aware image processing is enabled. Three of the VMs are domain controllers, three of them run SQL server. I figured since it was happening on all of them it might be "normal". And as long as it's only going to reboot once I guess that's OK. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something compromising my backups.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

guitarfish wrote:Three of the VMs are domain controllers
Well, that explains. Reboot is required when you restore domain controllers to repair Active Directory, there's a huge topic discussing domain controllers recovery, worth reviewing.