Exrace
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Exrace

Re: vSphere 4.1 support (or lack of)

Post by Exrace »

Nice find. 8)
prodigynwp wrote:Hello,

The error is caused by a variable mismatch in the clients.xml response. In version 4.0.x the apiVersion value was "4.0", in 4.1 the value appears to be "v4.1". In ESX 4 the file is typically located under /usr/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot/client/clients.xml . If you modify the file (change the value to 4.1) veeam starts working. I haven't noticed any other issues with our esx hosts or the vi client but I’m sure there is a reason for the change by vmware - I wouldn't recommend doing this in production but maybe this can offer a select few a work around until veeam backup 4.1.2 is released...

Steven
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

Are we still looking at a possible update release this week, or has this slipped to next week? Just checking, I was going to update my vCenter to 4.1 this weekend but would like to wait until 4.1.2 is released and I can test in lab....

Thanks!! :-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I have just came back from short vacation and I will update tomorrow after meeting with the team. I know from before I left that deep RTM code testing has determined a number of additional issues with ESX 4.1 support which needed to be addressed causing additional delays. So it came out not as easy as updating the version parser as we had hoped. Thank you.
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

Thanks for the reply Gostev!
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

Gostev wrote:Hello, I have just came back from short vacation and I will update tomorrow after meeting with the team. I know from before I left that deep RTM code testing has determined a number of additional issues with ESX 4.1 support which needed to be addressed causing additional delays. So it came out not as easy as updating the version parser as we had hoped. Thank you.
Hi Gostev,
Thank you and really eager to find out if you will have the release this week, as i have delayed last weeks change-over to this weekend and it would be great to find out sooner rather than later if I need to postpone for another week as soon as you can. Again thank you and your team for your efforts.
Farhad
manzamanna
Lurker
Full Name: manzamanna

Post by manzamanna »

Gostev, thank you for the reply, same problem connecting ESXi host v.4.1.0, 260247 using FastSCP v.3.0.2.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Currently it looks like Veeam Backup 4.1.2 will be released by the end of this week, unless something unexpected happens. FastSCP update will follow later.
aauldridge
Lurker
Full Name: Alan Auldridge

Post by aauldridge »

prodigynwp wrote:Hello,

The error is caused by a variable mismatch in the clients.xml response. In version 4.0.x the apiVersion value was "4.0", in 4.1 the value appears to be "v4.1". In ESX 4 the file is typically located under /usr/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot/client/clients.xml . If you modify the file (change the value to 4.1) veeam starts working. I haven't noticed any other issues with our esx hosts or the vi client but I’m sure there is a reason for the change by vmware - I wouldn't recommend doing this in production but maybe this can offer a select few a work around until veeam backup 4.1.2 is released...

Steven
I'm a VMware rookie (less than a week of experience using ESXi v4.1 but I love it and the Veeam tools as well!). I've followed the above instructions to edit the clients.xml file; however, after a reboot the file is reverted to the original version. I have performed the update from the console and from WinSCP. The file's access is R--R--R-- so I update it using "chmod 777 clients.xml" then edit it using VI. Afterwards I verify that the file has been updated using the command "cat clients.xml". After a reboot the file's access is back to R--R--R-- and the contents have reverted.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks... Alan
schaffeb
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ben S

Post by schaffeb »

Hi Alan,

My advice to you as a seasoned veteran :D , just wait until 4.1.2 comes out. It's always best to heed Anton's advice about his product. Mucking around with the ESXi internals is probably not the best idea. Trust me, I'm chomping at the bit for 4.1.2 as well. I can't finish our 4.1 migration until it's released.
schaffeb
Enthusiast

Post by schaffeb »

Anton, is tomorrow still looking like a possibility for a release?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ben, no - unfortunately the final testing cycle uncovered new issue we were not aware before. The new release date looks to be Tuesday next week. Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing, but we want to be sure we are releasing rock solid code. Stakes are just too high with over 12 thousands customers relying on our product to keep their data safe.
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

"Stakes are just too high with over 12 thousands customers relying on our product to keep their data safe."

This is why you guys are the best at what you do....the quality control and testing of final GA code is what makes me feel so confident in using your products. A couple more testing days isn't going to hurt.

Keep up the good work.
mgray84
Novice
Full Name: Mark Gray

Post by mgray84 »

Funny thing is I just recommended this to my company this morning since we are experiencing such low transfer rates using vCenter and come to find out no support for 4.1 but a release possibly next Tuesday. Pretty decent timing for future testing.
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Post by mdornfeld »

sixth wrote:"Stakes are just too high with over 12 thousands customers relying on our product to keep their data safe."

This is why you guys are the best at what you do....the quality control and testing of final GA code is what makes me feel so confident in using your products. A couple more testing days isn't going to hurt.

Keep up the good work.
Agreed. Take your time to get it right the first time. The stakes are too high for it not to be.
mgray84
Novice
Full Name: Mark Gray

Post by mgray84 »

Is there a list of changes that are supposed to be included in this release so that I may review?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Besides vSphere 4.1 support, there is mostly on-going bugfix (some reflected in the stickied Updates thread), and some enhancements for Virtual Appliance mode (not related to performance). We will have the list available in the Release Notes accompanying the build, we do not compile the list until right before the GA, when we have all last minute information in hands. If you have unusually slow transfer rates, I recommend working with support without waiting for the next release.
schaffeb
Enthusiast

Post by schaffeb »

mdornfeld wrote: Agreed. Take your time to get it right the first time. The stakes are too high for it not to be.
No doubt, safe is better than sorry when it comes to a backup product. Thanks for the update!
DANCHUFT
Novice
Full Name: Dan Brown

Post by DANCHUFT »

Are we still on course for an updated release on Tuesday?
DANCHUFT
Novice

Post by DANCHUFT »

Any news on the 4.1.2 release? :-D
skipmiller
Lurker
Full Name: Skip Miller

Post by skipmiller »

I am mid-migration and in a bit of a pickle. Any news?
CvBarney
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian van Barneveld

Post by CvBarney »

The new release date looks to be Tuesday next week.
Can you please give any status update? vSphere 4.1 is released 3 weeks ago and still no VEEAM backup update. As VMware technology partner you've the ability to test with the pre-releases. Are the found issues all from the GA release?
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

I just want to say, I know VMware made last minute changes on the GA release that were not in the beta releases which is effecting Equallogic firmware 5 also. The issues are not related but its worth noting that the problems are not entirely related to Veeam, you can thank VMware for last minute changes to GA code.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We do get the Release Candidate from VMware very well in advance (months), but not the RTM code. Thus, we can only start testing the RTM code after it goes GA.

However, it is important to realize that this release does not feature vSphere 4.1 compatibility alone. We are talking here about full blown maintenance update release with additional fixes and even some new functionality. Based on the feedback from larger customers we are trying not to release updates too often, because most customers have long certification procedures in place before they can put the new version into production. It has been half-year sharp from our previous maintenance release, and there are quite a few pending fixes and enhancements which need to be included into 4.1.2 based on the most typical support calls we have been receiving.

It does not look like we are going to release 4.1.2 tonight, as we found one new critical issue in the Enterprise Manager component earlier today, and had to fix it. As soon as fix for this issue is confirmed, we will make 4.1.2 generally available (tomorrow?). Please stay tuned to this topic for updates (no need to explicitly ask for them, I will make sure to keep you informed). But all in all, we are close.
YoMarK
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by YoMarK »

Thank's for the update Gostev.
I really like the Veeam policy on being open on the next release status. I'm also migrating to ESX 4.1(using vCenter server) now.
It would be easier for you guys to say "when its finished" :)
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

sixth wrote:I just want to say, I know VMware made last minute changes on the GA release that were not in the beta releases which is effecting Equallogic firmware 5 also. The issues are not related but its worth noting that the problems are not entirely related to Veeam, you can thank VMware for last minute changes to GA code.

Equallogic V5 Firmware has been withdrawn and will not be available for a few weeks till fixed do not use it ! V4.3.6 is the latest firmware to use. ( so dell support just told me on another issue )
DANCHUFT
Novice

Post by DANCHUFT »

Thanks for the update Anton...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Wanted to update everyone that the current build was just signed off by our QC as RTM. It should be available for download from our web-site in a few hours (I will create new sticky topic about the new release when this happens). Thank you all for your patience.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The bits are available for download now. Thank you.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Upgraded to 4.1.2 this morning and now HOT ADD mode is now fully working with ESX 4.1as it should :)
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

Gostev wrote:Wanted to update everyone that the current build was just signed off by our QC as RTM. It should be available for download from our web-site in a few hours (I will create new sticky topic about the new release when this happens). Thank you all for your patience.
Hi Gostev, Thanks for letting us know, I am looking at upgrading our whole VMware enviroment next weekend to version 4.1 and also upgrade Veeam this weekend, and so will let you know if all goes well. Farhad