Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pmichelli
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

vSphere CNS + VM Backups

Post by pmichelli »

We are starting to deploy Cloud Native Storage for our K8s in vSphere using VMFS backed storage and the CNI driver. My understanding is once a persistent volume is created and mapped to the Ubuntu VM running K8, it adds that volume as a second hard drive via VMDK. How does Veeam treat this with VBR? Am I ok to continue to back these VMs up or do I need to look at something like Kasten?

The VMware docs recommend not taking snapshots on VMs that have CNS storage added as they claim unexpected behavior may occur. Haven't been able to find much info from Veeam on the best way to backup these machines.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: vSphere CNS + VM Backups

Post by Mildur »

Hello Pmichelli

Veeam Backup & Replication will protect the entire VM as reported by the vCenter/ESXI.
If snapshots are not recommended by VMware, then you need to check out Kasten K10 for the backups. A VM Backup job from VBR does require VmWare snapshots to protect VMs.
Kasten K10 will also allow you to take K8 optimized backups for your K8 environment. I don't believe a general VMware backup is a good replacement for those optimized backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software