Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Vsphere webclient remembers old Enterprise Managers server

Post by Peejay62 »

Because of some reorganisation i had to switch Enterprise manager to a different server. First uninstalled the vsphere plugin and after that did a complete deinstall of BEM , running on machine X. I did a clean install on machine Y and installed the plugin. Now the web client plugin fails to connect to Enterprise manager. Looking at the settings for the plugin it still has the url to old server X. This setting cannot be changed. Where does one change that in order to have the plugin connected to the correct Enterprise manager? Somehow the system seems to remember the old server. @KB1220 I found something similar to this, not sure if this applies in my case. Any advice is welcome,

thanks, Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Vsphere webclient remembers old Enterprise Managers serv

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Peter,

This happens because VMware stores webconfig for all plug-ins even if you unregister it. To resolve this issue can you please try to do the following:

1. Unregister Veeam plug-in
2. Restore vSphere Web Client service
3. Re-deploy Veeam plug-in

If this doesn't help, please contact our technical team for further troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

What do you mean by unregister? de-installing it by Veeam Enterprise Manager? I did that. Inside vsphere I don't see anything about the plugin anymore, so please elaborate on this.. And @2 you point out restarting the websservice running on the vcenter server?

thanks, Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Yes, you got it right. You need to remove it via EM.
2. Correct. You need to restart web client service after removing the plug-in via EM.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Well, it's hard to believe. I even completely deinstalled everything on the old EM server and also on the new EM server. Also SQL and so on. Afterwards I performed a clean install on the new EM server Y. Installed the web plugin and it still has the reference to the old server X in it. As stated, I will contact support for this as I am lost..

thanks, Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did you restart the vSphere Web Client service? If you do not do this, VMware will preserve the webconfig of the uninstalled plugin. And If you decide install a new plugin of the same version, it will re-use the webconfig files stored on the vCenter Server.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Well,

I did all the suggested, even more. Completely deinstalled everything that might have something to do with EM, rebooted all the servers involved, even rebooted my B&R servers. Reinstalled, published the plugin and no succes. We have two vcenters, on the first it has the previous BEM server url in the settings, on the other it even has another earlier server URL listed. (the server I initially used for testing).
I did some further investigation and found a veeam.plugin.appsettings file that gets repopulated in flight as soon as you startup the plugin. Somehow the old url's are put in here, my best guess is that this comes in from the backupservers.
Current standing, I cannot make use of the vsphere plugin..(but i really would like to..)

thanks, Peter
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Peter. If none of the proposed solutions works for you, then, you'd better contact our support team and let them address it directly. Thanks.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Ok Vitaliy I will do that,

thanks, Peter