Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

WAN Accelerator Cache per Operating System

Post by dspringer »

Can anyone here tell me how strict the Operating Systems subdivision is here? Does a "Server 2019" versus a "Server 2019 Datacenter" count as a separate operating system? That it makes a difference whether a German server or an English server with an additional German language package was used is definitely a difference in my opinion.

Background:
In the past my accelerator cache always run full before all jobs are through. Yes, I could define another memory space here or certainly increase the available disks. But I would like to roll up the matter properly. Therefore I want to create a real calculation and have read out the operating system for each server. Among them still Server 2008, Server 2019, Linux ... and partly in different versions. My predecessor set 1TB per operating system as the setting at that point.

Actually, I have 18 backup copy jobs (2 per remote site), which contain different amounts of servers. Due to maintenance I had stopped all of them and turned them on again this week in a controlled manner. 8 of the jobs are through and theoretically 466GB of my 5.45TB storage is still free. So I can start the next job and hope that every operating system from it was already there - or the job triggers a new cache file with 1TB and therefore runs on error. At that point, I completely clear the cache and restart the jobs or they do this according to the schedule after 5 days anyway. But that is not the purpose of the thing and manual effort every month.

Is the 1 TB per cache File allocated permanently, even if it might not be needed?
dspringer
Enthusiast

Re: WAN Accelerator Cache per Operating System

Post by dspringer »

Damn.. wrong Sub-Forum. Sorry.
That's what happens when you click on the mail from the last topic in Outlook and then simply use the button for a new topic...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

No worries, moved. No, editions don't matter because the OS files are all the same.
dspringer
Enthusiast

Post by dspringer »

Thank you very much.

Since yesterday, I am also one step closer to untying the knot for myself. Can not actually be so difficult ;)
I looked at all previous jobs in the log and noted the servers in which a global dedub cache was created. A few times in a row the same was created - but in the end I come here on 6 different recognized operating systems. (OSOther, OSW10x64, OSW2003x86, OSW2008R2x64, OSW2016x64, OSW2019x64)
Makes then with the above-mentioned currently set 1TB per OS logically at least 6 TB of storage space, which are needed.

Last stupid question, which is certainly not so simple:
How does it behave with VMs, where I deactivate the guest processing? Will they all be handled in the same dedub? I already have such and just hope that the two recognized OSW2003x86 and OSW10x64 fall away with it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is not dependent on guest processing functionality being enabled.