Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TGacs
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Weekly Backup Copy to Removable RDX disks?

Post by TGacs »

Hyper-V 2016 environment with VBR 9.5 Update1
- Main repo: local JBOD on VBR server
- Copy repo: RDX Quikstation 8 via iSCSI with 2 x (4 RDX cartridges configured as a logical drive) = 2 logical drives marked as "backed by rotated hard drives".

I'm still new to Veeam, and trying to configure the following:
- Daily scheduled backups to main repo with synthetic full backup on Sunday.
- Weekly full backup copies over weekend to RDX removable cartridges (inserted on Friday afternoon) for removal to offsite on following Monday.

Daily backups successful.
Backup Copy successful when run manually.

Q1: How do I get the Backup Copy job to fire on the weekend so that it will provide full backups for offsite? My concern is that if I set it to Backup Copy schedule of once/day, then the RDX volume may fill up due to incrementals on Friday & Saturday, and not have space for backup of any changed data on Sunday.

Q2: If the RDX cartridges are not present Monday-Thurs (since I want all offsite backup sets to stay offsite as much as possible), will the Backup Copy job error out, or just wait for cartridge insertion on Friday?

FYI - I might be stuck in my old Backup Exec mindset, where the duplicate-to-RDX job is linked to fire as soon as the weekly full backup completes on Sunday.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Weekly Backup Copy to Removable RDX disks?

Post by veremin »

Q1: How do I get the Backup Copy job to fire on the weekend so that it will provide full backups for offsite? My concern is that if I set it to Backup Copy schedule of once/day, then the RDX volume may fill up due to incrementals on Friday & Saturday, and not have space for backup of any changed data on Sunday.
It might be worth adding this regkey. This way, each week a previous full backup will be wiped out from rotated media, and a backup copy job will create a new full backup. Otherwise (without the key), even on rotated drive a backup copy job will keep writing weekly increments.
Q2: If the RDX cartridges are not present Monday-Thurs (since I want all offsite backup sets to stay offsite as much as possible), will the Backup Copy job error out, or just wait for cartridge insertion on Friday?
I'd mark Monday-Friday period as a backup window just in case (as a safety measure against unnecessary notifications).

Thanks.
TGacs
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by TGacs »

v.Eremin wrote:I'd mark Monday-Friday period as a backup window just in case (as a safety measure against unnecessary notifications).
Thanks. I implemented the key and marked all days except Saturday & Sunday as disabled in the schedule of the backup copy job, but even after rebooting the Veeam backup server, I am still getting error messages every hour that the job failed ("Cannot connect to target backup repository."). The error makes sense since the RDX cartridges are removed and offsite, but I don't know why the job keeps retrying during the disabled schedule times.

Also, with the ForceDeleteBackupFiles registry key in place, if I insert RDX cartridges for the purposes of a restore, is there a risk of the backups being deleted before I do the restore? If so, I need to make it a practice to always to flip the write-protect switch on those cartridges after a backup!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

TGacs wrote:Thanks. I implemented the key and marked all days except Saturday & Sunday as disabled in the schedule of the backup copy job, but even after rebooting the Veeam backup server, I am still getting error messages every hour that the job failed ("Cannot connect to target backup repository."). The error makes sense since the RDX cartridges are removed and offsite, but I don't know why the job keeps retrying during the disabled schedule times.
You can try to disable the job temporarily using the external PowerShell script.
TGacs wrote:Also, with the ForceDeleteBackupFiles registry key in place, if I insert RDX cartridges for the purposes of a restore, is there a risk of the backups being deleted before I do the restore? If so, I need to make it a practice to always to flip the write-protect switch on those cartridges after a backup!
Yes, this would be a proper precaution measure, indeed.