Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ori
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ori Besser

Weekly backups and synthetic fulls

Post by ori »

New Veeam 7 installation.. I have defined some jobs for weekly backups and I want to keep one month of restore points, which means a total of 4 backups each cycle.
What I don't understand is why can't I schedule the synthetic fulls? If I choose a day for synthetic fulls it will make an incremental run on that day and then the synthetic full - what would result in 4 full backups at the end of the month, while what I actually want is 1 full backup and 3 incremental points. Is there any way I can achieve this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Weekly backups and synthetic fulls

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ori,

If you just want to have 1 full backup and 3 incremental restore points, I would suggest using reversed incremental backup mode, that should be scheduled to run once a week.

Thank you!
ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

Thanks Vitaliy,
and what if reversed incremental mode is not an option?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Then you can run forward incremental backup mode without enabling synthetic full ;)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, you could enable monthly active fulls instead of weekly synthetic to achieve what you're after.
ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

If I could schedule a synthetic for once a month I would have achieved what I want while enjoying the benefit of synthetic fulls, I just don't see the logic behind not giving an option to schedule them. I think there are many more use cases for that, i.e scheduling them outside the backup window so they won't utilize the repository while other jobs are backing up..
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Ori,

If you want to run synthetic full on demand, you can put into use this script.

Please be aware, that the script still requires incremental backup run. However, scheduled via Windows Scheduler, this script can execute synthetic full backup at whatever time you want to, and, thus, bypass existing schedule.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

ori wrote:If I could schedule a synthetic for once a month I would have achieved what I want while enjoying the benefit of synthetic fulls, I just don't see the logic behind not giving an option to schedule them.
This limitation is justified by performance reasons: How often do I need a full backup?