Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
saxchick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Susan Brady

Weekly full

Post by saxchick »

I must be missing some basic understanding of Veeam, because I can't make this happen:

- I want to create weekly incremental backups, on Sunday evening, and store 4 week's worth;
- and I want to create monthly full backups on the 1st of the month, and store 3 months of those monthly backups.

Veeam v10, Windows/VMware servers. Can one of you help this fuzzy-brained saxchick?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Weekly full

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Susan,
- I want to create weekly incremental backups, on Sunday evening, and store 4 week's worth;
Sure, that's possible via backup job scheduling options.
- and I want to create monthly full backups on the 1st of the month
You can define active or synthetic full backup creation schedule via Advanced settings of the backup job.
and store 3 months of those monthly backups.
Retention in such setup will be the same for incrementals and fulls, you can configure it here. If you want to keep full backups aside from your main backup chain - you can setup GFS retention to keep full backup files for a longer time. Cheers!
saxchick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Susan Brady

Post by saxchick »

Dima - you make it sound so easy -- I will try again. To keep my 4 week's worth of incremental weekly backups, I set the number of restore points to 4, correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

For regular part of the chain - yes, thus you will have a full and 3 subsequent weekly increments. For separate monthly fulls, you would need to enable GFS retention.