Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Weekly/Monthly Backup Copy

Post by Regnor »

I've got some VMs which are getting backed up daily with a retention of 7 days. Besides that I have to keep 4 weekly backups and a number of monthly backups.
As we can only setup a single retention policy for a job, I thought about creating a backup copy job for the weekly/monthly retention.
I'm not sure which synchronization interval and rention polices should be defined.
Can anyone give me an example on how to setup such a job?
clemJ
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Clément Juillac

Re: Weekly/Monthly Backup Copy

Post by clemJ »

Hi,

Personally I've a similar setup. I've a Backup Job with regular retention that keep 7 backups, and a Copy Job that keep 2 backups plus a retention scheme to keep 4 weeks plus 18 months.
I'm doing Backup Job on off-work hours (beginning of the night) with a backup windows of 4 hours.
I start my Copy job just before my Backup job, and enable a schedule to synchronize only on couple of hours in the day (right after the backup windows end).

Finally all depend of your environment (VMs size, network and load on your proxies/repositories, ...). Make some tests then tweak backup window/copy schedules.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup copy sync interval shouldn't be less than the one of the source backup job, otherwise it would have nothing to sync (there will be no new restore points created by the backup job). Everything else depends on your retention requirements. Approached suggested by Clément looks good.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

Thanks for your replies.
At the moment I've got two jobs, one weekly copy job which has an interval of 7 days and a retention of 4 points, and one monthly job with 30days interval and 3 points retention.
I would like to have both tasks inside one job but with 4 weeks and 3 months I would also have to store 2 additional restore points, as this is the minimum number I can set; that way I would always have to redundant weekly copies. Or is the job intelligent enough not to store redundant copies?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Keep in mind, that GFS restore points (weekly and monthly ones, if you enable GFS option) are stored as a full backup file each, while regular chain restore points you specify currently in each job are incremental ones, so contain only changes. Also, keep in mind, that those incrementals could nearly reach full backup in size, since the number of changes occurred during a week (or even more so, a month) could be comparable to a full). So technically, you will end up with 8 fulls with your new single job setup (1 regular, 4 weekly, 3 monthly) and just one small incremental file (provided you set minimum retention of 2 restore points for the regular chain), however, overall space required can be not much larger than with your current setup with two jobs. It can be even less if both weekly and monthly are created on the same day, then a single point will be marked both as weekly and monthly.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

There's enough space to hold all those restore points but I wanted to prevent creating a point besides GFS.
I didn't know that backup copy only keeps a single file if weekly and monthly are on the same day.
If I configure the time window to allow just one day and set the interval to 7 days, would that force backup copy to create the weekly and monthly restore point on the same day and prevent creating a regular restore point?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With the settings mentioned in my post, you will end up with only weekly full backups in the chain, without regular increments. If both weekly and monthly are scheduled at the same day, there will be just a single full backup marked both as weekly and monthly.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

Great, that makes the backup copy job much clearer to me.
Thanks for the explanation :)