Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pj888888888888
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Janeway

Weird issue since upgrading to 9.5 u3

Post by pj888888888888 »

Since upgrading to Update 3, I have been having random VMs fail with the following error:
Error: Failed to call RPC function 'Vss.RegisterIndexJob': Error code: 0x800706f8. Failed to invoke func [RegisterIndexJob]: The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation..

What is odd is that from what i could find, this was more of an issue with earlier versions of windows and an issue with some type of software on the OS....but the fact this happened overnight to a wide range of systems is a little troubling.

These VMs all were backing up fine without problems, the only change was applying update 3, once again....its pretty random.
I read another article about it potentially being an issue with Vcenter and Veeam and simply re-adding the VM to the job fixed the issue, but that didnt work either.

Anyone have any tips as I'm kind of stumped here.
I have an open case over this: 02455190

Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Weird issue since upgrading to 9.5 u3

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's hard to say what is causing this without reviewing the full logs bundle, so let's see what our support team finds out. BTW, does the job retry solve the problem? Does this happen when all jobs are triggered or you can reproduce it even when backing up only 1 VM at a time?
pj888888888888
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Janeway

Post by pj888888888888 »

Actually yes we did solve it.
It looks like that the upgrade didnt take on a single proxy properly.
I reinstalled the software and bounced the proxy and the problem was fixed.
Probably didn't help trying to troubleshoot this around 12AM also :P

This brings me to a potential feature request, I see with the agents you can initiate a reboot to apply the agent upgrade, maybe in a future release, could it be possible to do the same for the proxies from the Veeam master server?
And maybe also having the ability to reinstall the veeam software on proxies and not just the upgrade option? (I know thats two asks....but both are similar)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Paul, good to know that you've managed to resolve that!
pj888888888888 wrote:And maybe also having the ability to reinstall the veeam software on proxies and not just the upgrade option?
Actually, it should be possible today. When you remove and add proxy server backup, Veeam backup server should check the installed components and if they are not present push installation package to the computer.
MichaelMS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Malenkikh

[MERGED] Weird issue with VM backups

Post by MichaelMS »

Case #02477058:

Hi all,

1/17 our Veeam was updated to version 9.5.0.1038 and started to generate weird issue. Few VMs are failing to back up with error "Error: The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.". Initially few VMs failing but later when Veeam is trying to repeat attempt (3 times) some of these VMs are backing up correctly and some are not. All the rest of VMs (> 40) are good. I've seen this (veeam-backup-replication-f2/weird-issue-since-upgrading-to-9-5-u3-t47820.html)
but recommendation is to re-install software which is not acceptable for us. So my question is: did anyone see this error and advise how to fix it?
Veeam version is 9.5.0.1038, OS is Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. I wasn't able to find anything suspicious neither in Veeam windows event viewer nor in VMs windows event viewer. Maybe I can find more information in Veeam logs? If so can anyone advise what log file should be analyzed?

I'll appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Michael, and welcome to our community forums,

As to the issue experienced, kindly, keep working with our support team on addressing it.

Regards,

Vladimir