Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

What happens after Instant Recovery + Storage vMotion?

Post by Moebius »

I am running some tests to understand the new features of v5 (v5.0.1 actually).
I backed up a test VM and did a VM Instant Recovery which went fine.

I then storage vMotioned the recovered VM to a regular SAN datastore. The first time I shut down the VM while storage vMotion was in progress and apparently vSphere didn't like it... So I started over and the 2nd time it was uneventful.

So now I have the recovered VM back on my production datastore where it used to be, up and running. I guess all I should do to bring everything like it used to be is to delete the original VM (which is still there, switched off) and rename the recovered_VM as original_VM.

I expected Veeam B&R to be aware of the storage vMotion and update the console accordingly. But the recovered_VM still appears as "mounted" in the Instant Recovery window. What happens if I do "Stop Publishing" on it? And what happens to the NFS cache on the Veeam server, do I have to clean it manually?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: What happens after Instant Recovery + Storage vMotion?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lucio,
Moebius wrote:But the recovered_VM still appears as "mounted" in the Instant Recovery window. What happens if I do "Stop Publishing" on it?
When you click "Stop Publishing" for a virtual machine, Veeam backup will stop publishing VM files on vPower NFS server. Since VM has already been moved and running of another storage, this will not affect anything.
Moebius wrote:And what happens to the NFS cache on the Veeam server, do I have to clean it manually?
No, you shouldn't do anything manually. Everything is fully automated, and is a part of VM unpublishing process.

Thank you!