Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sven,

Backup job does not exclude any databases from the VM image. Do you say that you can't find Veeam backup database when you do FLR or restore the entire VM image?

Thanks!
maygyver
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Maygyver

Post by maygyver »

Hi,

I am checking backup status of every MSSQL database through a check_mk mssql.vbs skript.
Every database is getting the status of being backed up. But the "veeam backup" database not.

Sven

Code: Select all

' Loop all databases to get the date of the last backup. Only show databases
    ' which have at least one backup 
    Dim lastBackupDate
    addOutput( "<<<mssql_backup>>>" )
    For Each dbName in dbNames.Keys
        RS.open "SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR, DATEADD(s, DATEDIFF(s, '19700101', MAX(backup_finish_date)), '19700101'), 120) AS last_backup_date " & _
                "FROM msdb.dbo.backupset " & _
                "WHERE database_name = '" & dbName & "'", CONN
        Do While Not RS.Eof
            lastBackupDate = Trim(RS("last_backup_date"))
            If lastBackupDate <> "" Then
                addOutput( instId & " " & Replace(dbName, " ", "_") & " " & lastBackupDate )
            End If
            RS.MoveNext
        Loop
        RS.Close
    Next

Code: Select all

<<<mssql_backup>>>^M
MSSQL_VEEAMSQL2008R2 master 2015-03-22 22:10:33^M
MSSQL_VEEAMSQL2008R2 model 2015-03-22 22:10:33^M
MSSQL_VEEAMSQL2008R2 msdb 2015-03-22 22:10:33^M
MSSQL_VEEAMSQL2008R2 VeeamBackup 2015-01-14 22:26:17^M
MSSQL_VEEAMSQL2008R2 VeeamBackupReporting 2015-03-22 22:10:33^M
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The Veeam database is skipped by default. Please, utilize configuration backup in order to protect VB&R db. Thanks.
maygyver
Influencer
Full Name: Maygyver

Post by maygyver »

Thanks for Info. Good to know the default Skip.
mabordo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcelo Bordon

[MERGED] Veeam as own VM / how to replicate

Post by mabordo »

Hello at all,
we are planing a virtual enviroment with VMware and two VMs + one VM (Windows Server 2012) as Veeam B&R-Server.

To Backup the configuration, there are an Option "Backup configuration" and it sounds good to backup the veeam properties.

But what is the best practise to replicate the Veeam-VM when the ESXi-Hosts is down?

Greetings
Mabordo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Marcelo, I've merged your post into the corresponding discussion, you can find some considerations regarding Veeam B&R server replication above. It is a viable approach to protecting Veeam B&R, however, the best practice, as you've noted, is to backup Veeam B&R configuration.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

[MERGED] Replication for Veeam Backup server

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

I want to replicate my Veeam backup Server within my site. Reason is the following: We have two datacenters with a layer two connection between. All our VMware clusters are spread over these datacenters. Half of the ESXi Servers from a Cluster in site A and the other half in site B.
I plan to install a virtual veeam backup Server and different veeam proxy Servers. The veeam backup server should run on a single ESXi host in site A with local disks. The VMware vCenter Server also runs on this single ESXi host. What I want now, it to replicate both VM's to another single ESXi Server in site B. My question now is: is it possible to replicate the veeam backup Server in this manner with veeam replication? I want to be able to bring online vcenter Server and veeam backup Server as fast as possible if site A Fails. Reason to not run vcenter Server and veeam backup Server on a "normal" ESXi Cluster is because I want to be completely independent from any other infrastructure compontens like shared storage etc... for this two machines.

thx and regards
sandsturm
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Definitely, it is possible. Some of the implications of replicating Veeam B&R backup server are discussed in this thread, as well as other ways of protecting it, among which backup of Veeam B&R configuration is the most commonly recommended approach.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Thanks for the fast answer. I now that backup of veeam B&R configuration is the common Approach. But then I have to install a new Server, install B&R and restore the config. I want to have a faster recovery solution, so I thougth about replicating the virtual machine. If I choose "Application Aware processing" for my replication Job for the B&R Server, do I have then a consistent backup of the b&R database or not (in V8)?
If in my Scenario Site A fails and I have to start the replicated B&R Server in site B. Am I able to start this Server in site B without having B&R running?

thx
sandsturm
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The fastest recovery solution would be to have Veeam B&R instance responsible for replication jobs in the target site. That will allow for automated failover/failback operations right from its UI.
sandsturm wrote:If I choose "Application Aware processing" for my replication Job for the B&R Server, do I have then a consistent backup of the b&R database or not (in V8)?
Veeam B&R database is automatically excluded from VSS processing, so replica will have database in crash-consistent state. However, even large dynamic SQL databases are typically ok with that and able to recover fine in 99% of cases.
sandsturm wrote:If in my Scenario Site A fails and I have to start the replicated B&R Server in site B. Am I able to start this Server in site B without having B&R running?
Yes, you can manually start replica VM from vSphere Client.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

The idea with a Veeam B&R instance in the second datacenter sounds quite nice. Do I understand you right to do it the following manner:
- Function of Veeam B&R (Server A) in site A: Backup to local disk for Backups of vCenter Server and other Management Servers
- Function of Veeam B&R (Server B) in site B: Replicationjob configured for Server A with the replica metadata on a local Repository (Server B local)
- no backup of the Server A on Server A or do I need a local backup of this Server also?

Is this a feasible solution?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

- Function of Veeam B&R (Server B) in site B: Replicationjob configured for Server A with the replica metadata on a local Repository (Server B local)
The metadata data should be stored at the repository residing on source site (A).
- no backup of the Server A on Server A or do I need a local backup of this Server also?
Configuration backup should be enough.
hutsy
Lurker
Full Name: Ryan Huts

Post by hutsy »

Just wondering if it would be possible (or supported) to run Veeam Endpoint Backup on the Veeam Backup Server (running as a VM)?

At the moment we run the configuration backup, but just thinking if we had an endpoint backup of the machine (just stored on a NAS or other non-backup repository storage) it would make restoring the machine quicker than the current plan of installing os, updating os, configuring os, installing veeam, restoring veeam config.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Ryan,
Yes, you can backup virtual machines with Endpoint as well.
VBR also can backup/replicate itself. Though, please be aware that if this machine is also used as a default virtual proxy, CBT will not be utilized.
Thanks!
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

[MERGED] Backup of physical VEEAM server itself

Post by cffit »

I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere, but I can't find it in the forums. We have VEEAM B&R running on a physical server. What is the best method to back this server up? We don't have any other backup programs. Do some use the free VEEAM backup endpoint tool? I know supposedly it's easy to reinstall VEEAM and reattach to the database, but believe me, it's not that easy and when you have a few other things on the server those are important to backup as well.

We just had a case where an HP update blue screened our VEEAM server and it really worried me.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The recommended way of protecting Veeam B&R is using its built-in configuration backup functionality. However, if the server runs some other workloads, you can also use Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect it.
larimerE
Novice
Full Name: Elaine den Hoed

Post by larimerE »

Question: We do a configuration backup. We have a separarte sql server Problem: Several servers are indexed during backup (these files are saved locally through veeam) - how will I "restore" those in case of disaster if I am not directly backing up my Veeam B&R server as Veeam suggests?
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Is there documentation on how to backup the VEEAM physical server with VEEAM Endpoint? Do I install the full VE on my VEEAM server?
cupplesey
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andy C

Post by cupplesey »

Dont know if this has been mentioned before but hey ho (12 pages of posts to check :shock:) but im my dev platform i simply backed up the Veeam virtual server as a separate task (self backup to the cloud connect) once all other backup tasks are completed to ensure that database is the most up to date for consistancy. This is not ideal as it takes up more space in the repository for each instance/customer but in a DR scenario you can bring the Veeam server back and then your good to go. Ideally an off-site copy would be best like cloud connect repo but a DR site would be just as good. This means the extra SQL maintenance plan management is not required and is easier to restore than rebuilding the setup and recovering the DB which of course there is a chance it does not come back properly.

Of course this only works if the SQL database and stores of the config files are local to itself and not on an independent share.

I have feature requested this and hopefully it will come in v9

Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

larimerE wrote:Question: We do a configuration backup. We have a separarte sql server Problem: Several servers are indexed during backup (these files are saved locally through veeam) - how will I "restore" those in case of disaster if I am not directly backing up my Veeam B&R server as Veeam suggests?
If you're referring to indexing data (stored in the catalog) recovery, then please review this topic (including subtopic), it should answer your question > Basic Backup catalog questions
cffit wrote:Is there documentation on how to backup the VEEAM physical server with VEEAM Endpoint? Do I install the full VE on my VEEAM server?
Not sure that I understand what you mean by saying "full VE", but if you want to protect VBR server with Veeam Endpoint Backup, just install VEB and configure backup job to do full image backups. You can point your backup job to any supported designation target, for example a CIFS share.
cupplesey wrote:Dont know if this has been mentioned before but hey ho (12 pages of posts to check :shock:) but im my dev platform i simply backed up the Veeam virtual server as a separate task (self backup to the cloud connect) once all other backup tasks are completed to ensure that database is the most up to date for consistancy. This is not ideal as it takes up more space in the repository for each instance/customer but in a DR scenario you can bring the Veeam server back and then your good to go. Ideally an off-site copy would be best like cloud connect repo but a DR site would be just as good. This means the extra SQL maintenance plan management is not required and is easier to restore than rebuilding the setup and recovering the DB which of course there is a chance it does not come back properly.
Yes, this could be another option of protecting your backup server.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

So just to be clear, it is supported to have both VEEAM B&R and VEEAM Endpoint Backup on the same server?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
So just to be clear, it is supported to have both VEEAM B&R and VEEAM Endpoint Backup on the same server?
Yes, it is supported. From VEB's perspective VBR server is a "yet-another-mssql-machine" thus it can be backed up like any other one with no problem. As a sidenote: if you are interested in how Endpoint deals with mssql, then please take a look at this thread and this guide..

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, absolutely > EndPoint on B&R server
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I didnt think this warranted its own thread...

Does Veeam support its DB being stored in an AlwaysOn Availabilty Group?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, should not be any issues with that.
bodgeup
Influencer
Full Name: John Kenny

[MERGED] : Protect Veeam B&R V9

Post by bodgeup »

What should i be using for Disaster Recovery in Veeam B&R V9? What im thinking of is what i would use to restore data if the main site was a total loss.

We came from Symantec Backup Exec and in that we had a DR iso to boot with, what is the Veeam equivelent? Do i need to setup an off site replica for DR?

Thanks

JK
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Re: Veeam B&R V9 What should i use for DR ie Backup server l

Post by TommyB »

I use "Veeam endpoint backup" to backup the backup server (wow... that many "backup" in one short sentence :-) )
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam B&R V9 What should i use for DR ie Backup server l

Post by nielsengelen »

Have a look at the thread you've been merged to - a lot of options are posted here. If you can use replication it is probably the fastest way to get it back however.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
syl81
Novice
Full Name: Sylvain ARNAUD

Post by syl81 »

Hello,

Is it possible with the same license to have the Veeam Backup server in SiteA, and a second Veeam server acting as the Replication server in SiteB so that it is immediately available in case of a SiteA disaster to orchestrate the startup of replicated SiteA's VMs in SiteB ?

Thanks,
Sylvain
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, as long as the number of sockets on the hosts you're backing up/replicating VMs from does not exceed the number specified in the license. Consider using Enterprise Manager to have visibility across both backup servers.