What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:45 pm

The recommended way of protecting Veeam B&R is using its built-in configuration backup functionality. However, if the server runs some other workloads, you can also use Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby larimerE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Question: We do a configuration backup. We have a separarte sql server Problem: Several servers are indexed during backup (these files are saved locally through veeam) - how will I "restore" those in case of disaster if I am not directly backing up my Veeam B&R server as Veeam suggests?
larimerE
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Elaine den Hoed

Veeam Logoby cffit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Is there documentation on how to backup the VEEAM physical server with VEEAM Endpoint? Do I install the full VE on my VEEAM server?
cffit
Expert

Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby cupplesey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 am

Dont know if this has been mentioned before but hey ho (12 pages of posts to check :shock:) but im my dev platform i simply backed up the Veeam virtual server as a separate task (self backup to the cloud connect) once all other backup tasks are completed to ensure that database is the most up to date for consistancy. This is not ideal as it takes up more space in the repository for each instance/customer but in a DR scenario you can bring the Veeam server back and then your good to go. Ideally an off-site copy would be best like cloud connect repo but a DR site would be just as good. This means the extra SQL maintenance plan management is not required and is easier to restore than rebuilding the setup and recovering the DB which of course there is a chance it does not come back properly.

Of course this only works if the SQL database and stores of the config files are local to itself and not on an independent share.

I have feature requested this and hopefully it will come in v9

Andy
cupplesey
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andy C

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:44 am

larimerE wrote:Question: We do a configuration backup. We have a separarte sql server Problem: Several servers are indexed during backup (these files are saved locally through veeam) - how will I "restore" those in case of disaster if I am not directly backing up my Veeam B&R server as Veeam suggests?

If you're referring to indexing data (stored in the catalog) recovery, then please review this topic (including subtopic), it should answer your question > Basic Backup catalog questions
cffit wrote:Is there documentation on how to backup the VEEAM physical server with VEEAM Endpoint? Do I install the full VE on my VEEAM server?

Not sure that I understand what you mean by saying "full VE", but if you want to protect VBR server with Veeam Endpoint Backup, just install VEB and configure backup job to do full image backups. You can point your backup job to any supported designation target, for example a CIFS share.

cupplesey wrote:Dont know if this has been mentioned before but hey ho (12 pages of posts to check :shock:) but im my dev platform i simply backed up the Veeam virtual server as a separate task (self backup to the cloud connect) once all other backup tasks are completed to ensure that database is the most up to date for consistancy. This is not ideal as it takes up more space in the repository for each instance/customer but in a DR scenario you can bring the Veeam server back and then your good to go. Ideally an off-site copy would be best like cloud connect repo but a DR site would be just as good. This means the extra SQL maintenance plan management is not required and is easier to restore than rebuilding the setup and recovering the DB which of course there is a chance it does not come back properly.

Yes, this could be another option of protecting your backup server.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cffit » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:13 pm

So just to be clear, it is supported to have both VEEAM B&R and VEEAM Endpoint Backup on the same server?
cffit
Expert

Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi,
So just to be clear, it is supported to have both VEEAM B&R and VEEAM Endpoint Backup on the same server?
Yes, it is supported. From VEB's perspective VBR server is a "yet-another-mssql-machine" thus it can be backed up like any other one with no problem. As a sidenote: if you are interested in how Endpoint deals with mssql, then please take a look at this thread and this guide..

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 231 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Yes, absolutely > EndPoint on B&R server
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby mongie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:09 pm

I didnt think this warranted its own thread...

Does Veeam support its DB being stored in an AlwaysOn Availabilty Group?
mongie
Expert

Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes, should not be any issues with that.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Protect Veeam B&R V9

Veeam Logoby bodgeup » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 pm

What should i be using for Disaster Recovery in Veeam B&R V9? What im thinking of is what i would use to restore data if the main site was a total loss.

We came from Symantec Backup Exec and in that we had a DR iso to boot with, what is the Veeam equivelent? Do i need to setup an off site replica for DR?

Thanks

JK
bodgeup
Influencer

Full Name: John Kenny

Re: Veeam B&R V9 What should i use for DR ie Backup server l

Veeam Logoby TommyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 am

I use "Veeam endpoint backup" to backup the backup server (wow... that many "backup" in one short sentence :-) )
TommyB
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Re: Veeam B&R V9 What should i use for DR ie Backup server l

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:29 am

Have a look at the thread you've been merged to - a lot of options are posted here. If you can use replication it is probably the fastest way to get it back however.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 294 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby syl81 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello,

Is it possible with the same license to have the Veeam Backup server in SiteA, and a second Veeam server acting as the Replication server in SiteB so that it is immediately available in case of a SiteA disaster to orchestrate the startup of replicated SiteA's VMs in SiteB ?

Thanks,
Sylvain
syl81
Novice

Full Name: Sylvain ARNAUD

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes, as long as the number of sockets on the hosts you're backing up/replicating VMs from does not exceed the number specified in the license. Consider using Enterprise Manager to have visibility across both backup servers.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication