What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 pm

jgar wrote:How can this be possible, as I've read a lot of times through the forums that this doesn't work, period?

What you've read is for previous versions. Starting 6.0 Patch 3 and later versions, this scenario works fine, because the engine no longer communicates with the configuration database during the periods when it might be frozen. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2305 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

General question about appliance mode

Veeam Logoby Kslawrence » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm

[merged]

Hi,

We have veeam running in our vsphere essentials environment and it seems to be working really well, a quantum leap from regular physical backup systems. We are running veeam on a bare w2k8 virtual server on the same host as our production vms. Veeam then sends its backups to a windows file server share. We also have veeam doing replication of some vms to another host.

My question is, what happens if the main host fails completely? Obviously our veeam server will also fail at the same time and we will have no access to a veeam console to manage failover etc. how can we protect against this scenario? I installed veeam on the virtual server in order to use the hot add functionality and I assume if we didn't do this, then backups would happen in network mode instead which would be much slower.

Should we be replicating our veeam server to the standby host also? Is it even possible to do that?

Hope to hear back from other users who have come up against the same scenario!

Keith
Kslawrence
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Keith lawrence

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm

You can also replicate the veeam server itself to the other host; for replica is really not a problem since all VMs are registered in the other ESXi host so you can simply power them on when you need it to.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1280 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Just to clarify --

In the event of a disaster, I only have to have a (non-corrupt) .vbk file, right? I don't have to have the SQL database to be able to restore, etc. In theory, I could use extract to get the SQL database restored first, and then connect a new Veeam server to the existing database . . ?
averylarry
Expert

Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Ted

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 pm

averylarry wrote:In the event of a disaster, I only have to have a (non-corrupt) .vbk file, right?

Correct, you can use extract.exe utility or a brand new Veeam backup server to restore VMs from this backup file.
averylarry wrote:I don't have to have the SQL database to be able to restore, etc. In theory, I could use extract to get the SQL database restored first, and then connect a new Veeam server to the existing database . . ?

Yes.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1072 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Backing up Veeam

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:55 pm

[merged]

I installed VBR6.1 yesterday on my backup server which was running Backup Exec 2012. I tried installing Veeam as a seperate instance and was not successful. So i am using the same instance as BE2012 and it works.
Previously i had tried installing Veeam on a VM and using the physical server as proxy and my local attached NAS as repository. However the backups kept failing and said network path not found. So i chose to install it on the physical server. How do i backup the Veeam server on a physical machine?
zak2011
Expert

Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam Logoby dreese » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm

If you are using Windows 2008 as the veeam server we have found that backing up using the M$ built in backup utility works pretty well. You do not get historical backups of your veeam sever however unless you write a script for the backup files to be archived off to alternate storage.

D
dreese
Lurker

Full Name: Duan Reese

Veeam Logoby solvetech » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:22 pm

For my implementation I am using Symantec Recovery Server to image my physical server running hyper-V to a remote disk just in case. Any comments? Veeam will backup the VMs.
solvetech
Lurker

Full Name: Peter Ridgway-Davies

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Image backup will also work fine, however dumping SQL Server db backups to the remote location is all you need.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby chimera » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:19 am

Easiest way I've found to backup the Veeam server is using a drive snapshot utility from http://www.drivesnapshot.de/ Its a 250Kb file which doesn't need installing, runs in Windows, supports VSS, is easy as to use and works an absolute treat. I've already used it to restore a stuffed Veeam box at a client a few months ago with great success (just booted off a flash drive [which it has tips/tricks option for on their website] run the snapshot.exe program and restored the image from USB drive back to the local hard drive, easy as)
chimera
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Veeam Logoby itdirector » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:48 am

Please let me know if this is confirmed to work.
Veeam 6.1 running on a Win2k8 R2 VM (with SQL Express 2005 local), backing up to an external repository - the VM is running on vSphere 5. This is on our target destination server for replicas, so we don't want to purchase a license for just this VM.

-Shutdown the VBR VM once a month, clone it using vCenter for backup.
-Use any SQL utility to backup the VBR database nightly.

If there is a disaster, & we completely lose our production VBR VM:
-We bring up the cloned VBR VM, & restore the SQL database from the night's before backup.

Will that provide us with an exact copy of the VBR production VM? As in, will that restore all of our jobs, settings & schedules? What about the replica & backup metadata that resides on the VBR production server (example: D:\Veeam\Replication\Replicas\vm-84 & backup indexes)?

Thx
itdirector
Enthusiast

Full Name: friedman

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:25 am

Yes, this should work fine. Veeam B&R database stores all jobs and settings configuration, so if you do a daily backup of this database, you will always an ability to restore the entire configuration of your Veeam B&R server. As to the indexes and metadata, then you do not need to protect them at all, as metadata files will be automatically re-created on the next job run.

On top of that, why would you want to use such a complex procedure to protect your Veeam B&R server? If you do not want to purchase an additional Veeam license, just use VeeamZIP functionality (part of our free Veeam B&R tool) to backup the entire image of your production Veeam V&R server. :wink:
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Fiskepudding » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 am 1 person likes this post

+1 for "Veeam Free"

Perfect for backing up Veeam B&R server with local SQL express :).
That was our number 1 reason to put a "Veeam free" server in our network.
And we could finaly scrap VMware Data Recovery.
Thanx Veeam!
Fiskepudding
Expert

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Veeam Logoby itdirector » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Vitally,

I forgot to mention that we have a Perc6E card passthrough on that VBR VM. The PERC6E card is attached to an MD1000 with 30TB of DAS for Veeam backups. Not elegant, but we find it provides us with the best performance.

With the DirectPath I/O passthrough, you can't use snapshots on live VM's; hence rendering VeeamZip & Veeam backup/replication useless for this particular VM.

I also wanted to clarify my question (two posts up). With that scenario, with only an SQL database restore (no file restores), we won't lose any of our history, nor indexing/searching history for files in Enterprise manager?

Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned would be appreciated.

Thx
itdirector
Enthusiast

Full Name: friedman

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:05 pm

SQL database is not used to store information about indexing/searching history. Please see this topic for mode details on how to protect your indexing data.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication