WMB
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne

Backing UP Veeam B&R server

Post by WMB »

[merged]

Hello

I have just install veeam B&R 6. I followed information from the forum and I am now backing up vcenter after receiving an error. I would now like to backup my B&R virtual server is there a correct way to do this? Ive been looking abut can seem to find any information

thank you

wayne
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Post by Fiskepudding »

Since veeam can not back itsef up you need some other solution.
This post mentions some, I wil try to list some here:

1. Use Veeam free to "veeam ZIP" the B&R sever
(Can not be scheduled)
2. Replicate the B&R server
(Instead of backing it up, if that is ok in your environment)
3. Do not use a local SQL server for B&R, and backup that SQL server with veeam.
(This way you can easy get all settings back, not the windows server and veeam install itself.)
4. Wait fo v6.5, correct med if I am wrong!
(I read somewhere that V 6.5 of B&R will have the posibility to export/import all settings. This way a "simple" reinstall of OS and veeam and import settings will get you up and running again.)
5. Use a third party program or another B&R installation.....
(Costly)

Personaly i like and use #1, becaue of the simplicity of getting the server up and running again incase the B&R gets nuked..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Fiskepudding wrote:Since veeam can not back itsef up...
It can, actually. Starting from v6 patch 3, you can backup Veeam server with locally installed database with app-aware image processing enabled. What it cannot do, is to hotadd itself, so either use another backup mode or another proxy server to back it up.
Fiskepudding wrote:1. Use Veeam free to "veeam ZIP" the B&R sever
(Can not be scheduled)
Note, that VeeamZIP uses VMware Tools quiescence, not application-aware image processing.
Fiskepudding wrote:4. Wait fo v6.5, correct med if I am wrong!
(I read somewhere that V 6.5 of B&R will have the posibility to export/import all settings. This way a "simple" reinstall of OS and veeam and import settings will get you up and running again.)
v6.5 will allow to export/import Veeam server configuration settings only, it will not allow to export individual jobs and their settings.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

I stand corrected.
It can, actually. Starting from v6 patch 3, you can backup Veeam server with locally installed database with app-aware image processing enabled. What it cannot do, is to hotadd itself, so either use another backup mode or another proxy server to back it up.
However from a licensing perspective this kindof suggests that B&R is installed on the production environment (what you are protecting).
We have the backup servers (B&R and proxies) in a diffrent environment. So this will not work for us, unless we give Veeam some extra bucks.
This is also why we cannot replicate the B&R server.
Would be nice if there were some amnesty for the backup server itsef.. meaning, regardless of what/how many licenses you have, you can always backup/replicate the B&R server! :)
Note, that VeeamZIP uses VMware Tools quiescence, not application-aware image processing.
Yea, we have hade some issues with this, but it seems to running fine now.
v6.5 will allow to export/import Veeam server configuration settings only, it will not allow to export individual jobs and their settings.
Thanx for clearing this up. That just makes this function less resonable for a server "restore"/rebuild. But I guess that was not why it was created either.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Fiskepudding wrote:I read somewhere that V 6.5 of B&R will have the posibility to export/import all settings. This way a "simple" reinstall of OS and veeam and import settings will get you up and running again.
OK, I am not going to try and decipher what Foggy meant, and how you understood his statement... :D
But quoted is correct. This is exactly what this functionality would do, and is the main use case behind it.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

Thanx Anton for making me read Foggy's post once more. :)

I guess there was an missunderstanding. What Foggy ment is that Veeam server configuration, contains ALL jobs?
You can not pick and chose individual jobs, that is not what you want anyway if you are looking at a server rebuild/reinstall.
So it is actually quite good for a rebuild.
However it will take longer then a simple restore from a image.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yep, that is correct.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Can someone help me understand this?
I keep reading "Veeam cannot backup itself".
Well, I have been backing up the Veeam server with Veeam since ages, well before VB&R v6. Not sure with which version I started but it's a couple years now for sure.

My Veeam server is a "all in one" VM (SQL Express database onboard). The job has VSS enabled with success required; I even let it choose the backup method (it always picks NBD automatically, as hotadd doesn't work in this case). So it's a totally standard job. The only peculiarity is that this job only contains the Veeam server VM.

It runs fine every time and it's been running fine as long as I can remember. So what's all this fuss about backing up the Veeam server? Thank you for helping me understand.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Lucio, I have no other explanation except that you're simply the lucky man. :)
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius »

Well I've already experienced a case of "inexplicable bad luck" with Veeam, but it's even harder for me to believe in the existence of cases of inexplicable luck. What's the rationale behind the statement that "a Veeam server cannot back up itself"?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Lucio,

I have an explanation.

1. This used to be the case, but only until 6.0 Patch 3 (see the top post on the previous page of this topic).

2. This is still the case for physical Veeam server, which is what we are addressing with the new configuration backup functionality 6.5. Of course, this functionality will help not only with that, but also for when you need to migrate your Veeam server from one computer to another, whether it is physical or virtual.
Moebius wrote:What's the rationale behind the statement that "a Veeam server cannot back up itself"?
Originally, this statement comes from Symantec FUD they were spreading among our common partners - and with that, they were talking about physical Veeam installs.

Do you think it will be best to close this topic now when both items are resolved, to prevent further confusion?

Thanks!
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius » 1 person likes this post

Hi Anton,

thank you for making this clear. Yes, I think that this topic could be closed. I admit that I only skimmed through it and just got confused (but I see I'm not the only one).

So the final word is:
A virtual Veeam server, from v6.0 patch 3 on, CAN back up itself, even with app-aware image processing enabled.
lux209
Novice
Full Name: Lucas Plancherel

[MERGED] Replication and Veeam server

Post by lux209 »

Dear all,

I'm setting up a DR plan using veeam replication jobs, and I wonder if I should also replicate the Veeam server to my DR site ? Is it recommended to do so ? Is there anything to be careful of ?

I think I have to replicate my veeam server to my DR site as if my prod site goes down I will have no access to the server to start the failover. But I don’t know if it could cause some configuration mismatch or any other problem?

Thanks
Lucas
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Replication and Veeam server

Post by dellock6 »

Replicated VM are registered in VMware as standard VMs, so in the worst case you connect to the remote ESXi servers and you start the replicated VMs from there, without using Veeam server. You can replicate even the Veeam server to guarantee its protection, but it's not mandatory for replica failover.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lux209
Novice
Full Name: Lucas Plancherel

Re: Replication and Veeam server

Post by lux209 »

thanks for your answer, I know that it is possible to start the replicated VMs directly from the ESX server, but veeam doesn't recommend that as it is much more difficult to fallback to the prod site.
But you are right in worst case I will do that
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Backing up and replicating the Veeam Server and pro

Post by marius roma »

I need to backup and replicate the Veeam server and the Veeam proxy from one site to another one.
On site A I have a Veeam server and a Veeam proxy.
I want to backup all the existing VMs (including the Veeam server and the Veeam proxy) on a local NAS and to replicate all the VM (including the Veeam server and the Veeam proxy) on site B and keep them there powered off.
In case of disaster at site A, after recreating the vSphere infrastructure I want to be able to replicate back all the VMs (including the Veeam server and the Veeam proxy) fronm site B to site A.
Is there any problem if I use a Veeam server to backup and replicate itself and the Veeam Proxy?
Regards
marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please be aware that with the introduction of configuration backup feature which is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the SQL database there is no longer need for backing up VB&R server as a whole. Thus, if you're using VB&R 6.5, you can just install VB&R from the scratch and import configuration, if your version is a little bit older, then it stands to reason to review posts provided above for possible solution.
In case of disaster at site A, after recreating the vSphere infrastructure I want to be able to replicate back all the VMs (including the Veeam server and the Veeam proxy) fronm site B to site A.
For such scenario it might be worth deploying additional VB&R server at your DR site and letting it be responsible for only remote replication job. Thus, in disaster situation all functionality (Failover, Failback and etc.) can be performed by DR VBR Server itself without any issues.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

v.Eremin wrote:Please be aware that with the introduction of configuration backup feature which is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the SQL database...
I apologize for my poor B&R and SQL skills: how can I backup the configuration of my B&R server?
By the way, my B&R server version is 6.1: I am considering updating, but only after backuing up the server or at least the configuration...
Should I perform the backup from B&R or from SQL?
Regards
marius
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Configuration of your Backup Server can be backed up only in VB&R 6.5. You should think about configuration backup as a regular job that can be run either manually or by schedule. The backup repository where configuration backup is going to be stored can also be chosen and required retention policy can be specified.

For doing it: Go to the main VB&R menu (top-left corner) -> Configuration Backup.

Explicit instructions, as well as, generic description of this functionality can be found in the corresponding User Guide (p.297).

If your Veeam backup SQL Server is located on the same VM as VB&R server, then, for the purpose of complete safety it might be worth backing up this VM as a whole with application-aware image processing option being enabled.

However, according to our customers’ experience the upgrade process goes smoothly without any issues, as it’s supposed, so there isn’t something you should be worried about.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

marius roma wrote:I apologize for my poor B&R and SQL skills: how can I backup the configuration of my B&R server?
By the way, my B&R server version is 6.1: I am considering updating, but only after backuing up the server or at least the configuration...
Should I perform the backup from B&R or from SQL?
Our support team has a KB article that should guide you through this process, please take a look:
http://cp.veeam.com/knowledgebase/artic ... ormat/html (this article shows how to migrate the database, but you can also notice the "backup" option on the screenshots).
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tomas Olsen

Post by tomas.olsen »

why not use vsphere replication in vsphere 5.1, or how would FT work if you have the vsphere licenses for it??
You can also download SQL server Express from Microsoft, install it on a dedicated virtual or physical server and leave your Veeam DB there.
yari_opt
Lurker
Full Name: yari

[MERGED] : DRP of Veeam backup

Post by yari_opt »

Hi,

for our Data Recovery Plan, we need to have a backup of our Veeam server.
Is it possible to have a spare or a cluster of Veeam Backup ? or any other idea ?

Thanks for you help.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You’ve been merged to the existing topic. So, please review it for possible answer.

Since the 6.5 version the best way for protecting your VB&R server is to perform configuration backup on regular basis. Detailed description of this functionality can be found above.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

In order to backup the Veeam B&R Server and the Veeam B&R Proxy (both are VMs based on Windows Server 2008 R2), can I use any of the following Symantec products (to be installed inside the servers themselves):
  • Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010
  • Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2011
  • Symantec System Recovery 2013
Is there any known issue?
Should I make any specific configuration?
Which version should I use?
Can I use Veeam B&R instead to backup the Veeam Proxy?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Marius, you'd better ask at Symantec community forums regarding their products.

However, you can successfully backup Veeam B&R management server and Veeam B&R proxy servers using Veeam B&R itself. The current topic contains detailed instructions regarding backing up Veeam management server. Regarding backing up proxy servers, please see another existing topic and this one could also give some helpful details.

Thanks.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Despite the differences among different Symantec products and versiones, I read previous posts in this topic saying that Symantec solutions in general should be ok to backup Veeam B&R servers: is it correct?
Regards
marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Never tried to do that ;) always used Veeam to backup itself, but I guess you can use these tools also if needed.
DocMagic
Novice
Full Name: Peter Mang

[MERGED] : How to backup and restore b&r

Post by DocMagic »

Hi there again,

i installed veeam b&r in a virtual xp machine. I did some backups and replication jobs and now i want to move the installation to a virtualized 2008R2 Server. I want to keep all settings and previous backups/replications (incremental) and to re-use the existing backup aproxy that points to a NFS on a NAS.

How to do this?

Thanks in advance

Peter
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

keep all settings
If you’re on 6.5 version, then perform Configuration backup, install VB&R from the scratch on the new machine and restore configuration.

For more information regarding this functionality please see answers provided above or take a look at the corresponding User Guide (p. 297)
previous backups
Move corresponding files manually to a new server.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

I have not tested this to I may be incorrect but looking at the "new" Configuration Backup feature it looks to be that when doing restore you will only be able to to a restore to a SQL server that's running locally or am I missing something here? Now this of course may not be a problem, I'm just curious about how this feature works.