What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Veeam Logoby icebun » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm

As is it not possible to backup the Veeam server itself, can anyone advise on the best way to protect this server?

I know it is quite easy to build another one from scratch but I was more thinking about the database which contains all the jobs etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

By the way, apologies if this is covered elsewhere.
icebun
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 pm 1 person likes this post

The best way to protect Veeam Backup server is set it up in a way allowing you not to protect it at all. To achieve that, place Veeam configuration DB on existing, remote SQL server. In this case, you do not have to worry about protecting Veeam Backup server at all. Redeploying Veeam Backup takes under 2 minutes when you can point it to remote SQL with the existing configuration database.

[UPDATE] Starting version 6.5, B&R also includes automatic configuration backup to the selected backup repository.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Veeam Logoby Lazarey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm interesting by this post.

In case there's no SQL Server, how can i backup/restore configuration DB ?
Lazarey
Novice

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm

In this case I would recommend you to backup Veeam SQL configuration DB using native SQL backup methods, so you could later restore Veeam DB and use it with new installation of the backup console. Please search the forums to get more information about this method.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1071 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Additionally, you can consider the following methods:

2. Use Veeam Backup to backup itself (use any mode but Virtual Appliance, and make sure Veeam VSS and VMware Tools queiscence turned off - the latter is controlled in the Advanced job settings). Since Veeam DB stores minimal data this should produce recoverable backups. Don't do this with more active SQL servers though :)

3. Use separate Veeam Backup install to backup primary install. Customers with DR sites are most commonly practicing such method, since they already have additional Veeam Backup server installed in their DR site. And of course any customer with multiple sites can do this too.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Frosty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 am

Sorry for reactivating an old thread, but the above sparked my attention. In a DR scenario, assuming that there is a basic installation of Veeam on our DR hardware, ready to restore VMs, is it true to say that we don't need the configuration of the original Veeam server/database to do the restore of our VMs?

As a possible feature for the future, maybe Veeam could consider allowing a scheduled/automated "export configuration" (i.e. to an XML file, on the backup disks) and the option to manually "import configuration" from that XML file in a DR situation?
Frosty
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Veeam Logoby Exrace » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:29 am

I was thinking along the same idea.
Just import the backups on the DR side to do the restore.
Exrace
Influencer

Full Name: Exrace

Veeam server backup

Veeam Logoby Davidatek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

[merged]

Hello,
I'm wondering how everyone is backing up Veeam itself? We are running Veeam backup and replication 5.01 on a separate physical server, so in case this server dies, what should we be backing up? We do have Backup Exec so we can dump it to tape if needed.
I'd hate to have to recreate all of the jobs, etc.
Thanks
Davidatek
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I guess your main concern is how to protect the B&R server? If so, please refer to the posts above.
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby ccrichard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Can I use VmWare Data Recovery to Backup the Veeam Server?
ccrichard
Enthusiast

Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Yes, you can use any other backup product. VMware Data Recovery is not the best choice though, as it does not feature application aware processing, and Veeam Backup server has SQL on it. As Alexey already mentioned, there are better options provided above. Particularly, I would recommend separate Veeam install dedicated to protecting your primary Veeam Backup server. Or better yet, placing Veeam Backup DB on existing SQL server, if you have one. Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Backing up my Veeam backup VM

Veeam Logoby Frosty » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 am

[merged]

Just wondering if anyone can give me a tip on the best way to back up my Veeam Backup server. I've installed Veeam Enterprise v5 on a VM. I've given the VM a 'normal' C: drive, and then created two (2) independent disks of 2000GB each as drives E: and F: which is where I store my backups. My plan is/was to occasionally (on demand, not scheduled) run a backup of just the VM with its C: drive, and leave out the E: and F: drive independent disks ... doing this just now and then when I make major config changes by scheduling new Veeam backup jobs, or applying service packs to the O/S and so on. Does this sound like it will work? Or should I attack it a different way?
Frosty
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:05 am

Stephen,

Yes, it should work just perfectly, but you won't be able to use "application aware processing". In addition to this, I would also consider doing just SQL configuration database backups with SQL native tools as it is described above.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1071 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Sorry,
i've setub a backup job of veeam VM itsefl with VSS enabled, it seems working (ver. 5.0.2) is it right?
Is sql protected?
Thank you
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Hmm... curious to see how and why this works for you with application-aware processing enabled :)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication