Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smaskew
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sean Askew

What Veeam Services are required for Veeam to function Corre

Post by smaskew »

I tried searching for this information and I do not see it listed anywhere. If it is posted somewhere I am sorry to duplicate a previous thread. I am using Veeam v8.0 running on a Windows Server 2008 VM that backs up to a HP StoreEasy NAS running Windows Server 2012. We have had some issues with Veeam backups failing because some services were not running for various reasons. What I am trying to find out is which services must be running for Veeam to backup the VMs. My end goal is to monitor the service status and be able to restart them before a backup starts and fails.

Here are the Veeam related services running on the Veeam server.
SQL Server (VEEAM2012)
Veeam Backup Service
Veeam Cloud Connect Service
Veeam Installer Service
Veeam vPower NFS Service
Veeam Data Mover Service

Here are the services running on the NAS.
Veeam Installer Service
Veeam vPower NFS Service
Veeam Data Mover Service

Thank you to those who may take the time to respond or point me to the article where this information can be found.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: What Veeam Services are required for Veeam to function C

Post by Gostev »

Core functionality of running backup jobs requires only Veeam Backup Service, and SQL Server hosting configuration database.
And potentially Veeam Installer Service on all servers as well, but I need to double check if this really is essential.
Thanks!
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

I think you're forgetting some things: The Data Mover service must be running on any server which is a proxy or repository so that this service can deploy the data movers; many minor functions also require it on the backup server. Installer service is needed to understand that other servers are online (if it's not running we thing the server is offline), and to perform certain file operations (certain examples of create/delete/enumerate/etc.). I have seen job failures with the Catalog service stopped even if indexing is disabled, but not consistently.

Cloud connect is only needed if you're running a cloud connect job; vPower NFS is only needed for certain restores (at the time of restore, not during the backup).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Alan I was under impression that the Installer service would start the Data Mover service if it's not running: this is something I was planning to check on with the devs.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Interesting, I hadn't heard that.