Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Squeezer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

When to use "Enable guest file system indexing"?

Post by Squeezer »

When would I want to use the "Enable guest file system indexing" option in the Guest Processing tab of a backup? Normally when a user cannot file a file or folder on one of the servers they tell me the location of the missing data, and I can select a Guest Files restore and navigate the folder structure to find the missing files or folders for the user.

The guest file system indexing description says it allows me to perform 1 click restores or individual files, but I'm not seeing where I would click to perform a 1-click restore. Would that be located under the Files tab in the bottom left of the console? If so, it appears I will have to manually add all of my windows servers to the Managed Servers in the Backup Infrastructure tab before the servers will be listed in the Files tab. Am I correct? The only servers listed in the Files tab are my Hyper-V host servers and no VMs are listed under Microsoft Windows. I am using Veeam Backup 7 R2 for Hyper-V.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: When to use "Enable guest file system indexing"?

Post by veremin »

Normally, you would enable "Guest Index Processing", if you're going to use Enterprise Manager in order to restore granular user data. 1-click restore is also the functionality available in the Enterprise Manager. More information can be found in the corresponding section of our Help Center.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

You're lucky if your users know what directory their file was located at... :) usually it is not the case.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Well, also because if it's a file servers, users can tell you they lost the file in P:\folder\file.doc for example, but that is a mapped network drive and in your server maybe that file is in d:\shares\business-unit\file.doc.

Sometimes even "lusers" are right :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1