Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

When using virtual lab where are the snapshots stored?

Post by davidb1234 »

I figured they would be stored in the VPOWER NFS folder for the VM that is running in the virtual lab but the files are extremely small and not changing even though I am copying data to the VM and should see the delta files increase. Maybe I am missing something.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: When using virtual lab where are the snapshots stored?

Post by veremin »

Hi, David.

Are you, probably, talking here about VMs that are started in Virtual Lab, using Instant VM Recovery?

If so, by default, disk changes are stored directly on the vPower NFS server (be it VB&R server itself or backup repository). Nevertheless, this setting can be changed by selecting the "Redirect virtual disk updates check box" in the settings of Instant VM recovery session. Using the said option, disk changes can be redirected to any datastore in your VMware environment.

Thanks.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

Talking about a surebackup job in a virtual lab. I assume this leverages instant recovery technology.

I found the delta files. They are on a datastore in a surebackup folder. I don't recall that setting so it must have put them there by default or maybe instant recovery in itself using vpowernfs by default but surebackup jobs in a virtual lab put the delta files on the SAN?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

All VM changes that take place when a VM is running in the SureBackup job are written to redo log files that are stored on a selected datastore. This setting/datastore is configured during virtual lab creation, please see our User Guide (page 271) for further info.

Thanks!