Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kinggeedorah
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon-Timothy Folaji

Which License is needed?

Post by kinggeedorah »

Hello forum,

i´m renewing my licenses, because they run out in May 2023. I´m wondering which licenses i need for my infrastructure.

My infrastructure is:

- 3 physical server running Windows (one on 2016 and the other two on 2022)
- 1 physical server running KVM (Red Hat)
- 4 VMs on local KVM Server
- 3 AvD-Hosts on Azure (Win10 based)
- 4 VMs on Azure running Server 2019

I have VB&R 11 installed with 10 Licenses. One of the Server 2022 will be the new backup proxy and server.
I also have Veeam for M365 which just works as expected.
The 4 KVM-VMs will migrate to Azure and disappear this year (they still run 2012 R2).

The Azure-VMs and AvD-Hosts are backed up by Azure Backup (for 30 days), but i want to have an alternative backup "just-in-case" or for long term backups. Is it advisable to backup from Azure to the backup proxy which sits on my local network? I´ve read about Veeam Backup for Azure, maybe that´s a better approach rather than backing up the Azure VMs via Azure S2S-VPN-Tunnel (which is capped at 100Mbit)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

hth
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Which License is needed?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum.
If you want to integrate Veeam Backup for Azure in your VBR server, you require VUL licensing. VUL is also required for Agent Backups. Please provide the number of your workload to a reseller or your Veeam sales representative, they will provide you an offer with the correct license count for your use case.
One of the Server 2022 will be the new backup proxy and server.
A backup proxy is not used for Agent (only with storage integration) and Azure VM backups.
Is it advisable to backup from Azure to the backup proxy which sits on my local network?
You have two options:
- Protect them with Veeam Agent
- Protect them with Veeam Backup for Azure
A proxy server is not used in both cases. With Veeam Agent the backup is processed by the agent itself. With Veeam Backup for Azure, the backup is processed by the worker instances which will be started in Azure as VMs while the backup is running.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kinggeedorah
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon-Timothy Folaji

Re: Which License is needed?

Post by kinggeedorah »

Hello Fabian,

thanks for clarification. I think i will go for the Azure backup approach, because there will be too much north-south traffic in my opinion. Sorry for my very late reply.