Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mvalpreda
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Valpreda

Who is using Cloud Connect?

Post by mvalpreda »

Have more and more customers who want to put their backup 'in the cloud'. Interested in hearing from those using Cloud Connect. Most of the customers interested have 400-500GB for a VBK and then daily VIB of 10-25GB.

1) Does it work okay with the Standard edition of 9.0?
2) How much retention are you keeping?
3) Who are you using? I'm in California and iLand appears to be the only one in California.
Naveen Goud
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: K Naveen

Re: Who is using Cloud Connect?

Post by Naveen Goud »

How much data can be backed up to the cloud?
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I'm about to turn it on for our site in Vancouver using iland.

It is what it is really... I disagree with the decision to use the channel for this - I think it should be a windows service that the end user can run on their own cloud hosted infrastructure. You end up paying a lot more for VCC than you would if you stored the data yourself. That being said - its the best option for storing Veeam backups in the cloud as far as I can see.

As a product - it does work ok, you need decent network performance for restores though.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

We have quite some partners providing cloud connect already. You can find one via http://www.veeam.com/find-a-veeam-cloud-provider.html

1) Customers can send data to a Cloud Connect with any edition, Standard, Ent or Ent+
2) This depends on your business needs, since we leverage backup copy job you can also use GFS and archive full backups every month, year,...
3) Look a the list in the URL, you can always ask trial accounts as some give this option.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

mongie wrote:I'm about to turn it on for our site in Vancouver using iland.

It is what it is really... I disagree with the decision to use the channel for this - I think it should be a windows service that the end user can run on their own cloud hosted infrastructure. You end up paying a lot more for VCC than you would if you stored the data yourself. That being said - its the best option for storing Veeam backups in the cloud as far as I can see.

As a product - it does work ok, you need decent network performance for restores though.
If you are happy to manage that hosted infrastructure , you can simply create a VPN to it - deploy some Veeam Repositories onto it & send backups there. VCC adds in the convenience of not needing to manage that VPN or power / cool / provision / manage that cloud infrastructure yourself, which is a key factor for some customers.
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

Have around 4TB of data and been struggling to get cloud connect to work.
constant issues and problems.
Open ticket with Veeam for 6 weeks now and Veeam don't care at all.

be warned Veeam staff on the forum saying it works is not the same as it working.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

We have plenty of users using Cloud Connect to our partners. It's always best to ask for a trial and see how it performs according to your requests/needs. In regards to your issue Mr. Kent it is fully being handled by our support to assist you and finding a solution.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

mvalpreda wrote:Have more and more customers who want to put their backup 'in the cloud'. Interested in hearing from those using Cloud Connect. Most of the customers interested have 400-500GB for a VBK and then daily VIB of 10-25GB.

1) Does it work okay with the Standard edition of 9.0?
2) How much retention are you keeping?
3) Who are you using? I'm in California and iLand appears to be the only one in California.
Hi!

1) I have several customers using cloud connect. It works OK with any paid edition.
2) Usually as few as possible, depends on the disk price. So it's usually only for disaster recovery, but of course you can keep the archive there as well. However usually archive is placed on-site on a nas or some cheaper storage.
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops » 2 people like this post

I use it for one of my branch locations instead of going to tape etc. It's about 200GB data with ~2GB or so each night incramental after Veeam is done doing its magic. Not a huge backup but kid of on the same level as you.

We use SingleHop as a provider and they have been absolutely awesome. They seem to have a good compression/dedupe ratio too. I keep 7 restore points, a weekly and a monthly full in their repository and am only using 90GB. I need to find more stuff to push out there! Best part is my 1TB cloud repository is only ~$109 a month, super affordable. They have multiple data centers around the US and over seas. https://www.singlehop.com/managed-hosti ... ions/baas/

Whatever vendor you go with be sure to sign up for a trial and test restore speeds etc. I picked the best I could find.

Just a side note, with V9 you can also use them (or any V9 cloud provider that supports it) as a replication point for DR at a pretty affordable rate....

I think cKent's issue is with the provider, i'd be raising hell if I was down for 4-6 weeks. I did have 2 issues with my backups in the beginning and it was settings that had to be tweaked on the provider side, each was resolved in under 24 hours. But, that is the importance of a full blown demo/trial run before you buy. Most providers will give you 2-3 TB to play with and make sure it works as expected (mine did).

Any other questions be sure to let me know.
johnbivol
Lurker
Full Name: John Nolan

[MERGED] Any suggestions of Veeam Cloud Connect Providers

Post by johnbivol »

Hi everyone,
We are using Veeam for more than half a year and love the product. We can't be more satisfied with it. (Located in Midwest, using Hyper-V)
We got to the point where we would like to do some Offsite Backup, or DR and started to look into the Service Providers. Unfortunately it's not easy to call so many of them and keep asking the same questions.
Wanted to ask some users if you can share your success stories with the community who do you use and if you recommend them.
I searched for a post like this, but i don't think there is one, I am sure it will be beneficial for many other users here.

So far i can share with you some, but since we didn't use them, i can't tell what will happen in real life if you go with them:

Quest Technology Management - $0.009 per tb/month for backup. This is a large comany and own their Datacenters
Managecast - $0.06/GB per month, smaller company.
System Solution INC - 0.09 Per GB/month

But would appreciate some feedback from some users that use this for a long time, this would be valuable.
Thanks everyone for your time
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We cannot recommend any particular name, but you can start by searching appropriate company in VCSP lookup (mentioned above), different offerings in terms of functionality and cost are available there.

When time comes, you could run couple of test runs, using a provider of your choice, and see whether everything goes according to your expectations.

Thanks.
bryanmeche
Influencer
Full Name: Bryan

Post by bryanmeche »

I have been very disappointed with cloud connect so far. It seems once a month we have some sort of issue with it, and right now I have yet another issue that popped up we opened a ticket on 10 days ago and we have yet to have any movement at all on the ticket. It has been ten days of nothing. We've already had to blow up our entire backup set and start over due to an issue Veeam could not solve, and it worked fine for about a month yet here we are having issues again.

I have backups that are set to only keep 5 restore points, yet they have way over that. Since it's not pruning old backups, I'm quickly running out of storage on my provider's side. There was no warning or error emails or anything, I didn't even know we had an issue until I got a warning I was running low on disk space.

A big problem with cloud connect is the fact when you do have an issue, it's hard to get Veeam to work with both us and the provider. Getting them to work together can be like herding cats. If Veeam is going to list a provider as a partner, a minimum requirement would be Veeam support engineers need dedicated access and contact info for to their support team when they have to gather logs or run tasks on their end. Right now when Veeam needs logs from my provider, it's my job to contact my provider and have them upload logs, or it's my job to schedule a call with a person on their team and a Veeam engineer. Very frustrating.

I don't know if we're stuck with a provider that's not very good, but I really do think Veeam has a lot of work to do with the cloud connect product. It's just, buggy.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you share with us your ticket number, so that we can investigate issue internally before providing any further comments?

As to mutual SP and customer case experience, there are indeed plans to improve this area.

Thanks.
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops » 1 person likes this post

I've been using it for a few years with one of my satellite sites, 1TB of data with 3 weeks total of retention. I had some initial issues that were on the providers side which were resolved in under 24 hours. Since then it's been running smooth.

I think the provider you choose plays a big part in if you have good or bad experiences, they aren't all the same. We use SingleHop and I would recommend them. I did trials on multiple vendors and they had the best support, they were also Veeam's Cloud Connect partner of the year. https://www.singlehop.com/managed-hosti ... very/baas/

They have some cool features like the "DART" box for seeding initial backup jobs and can spin up your Veeam backups in their data center within 24 hours if you data center burns to the ground etc...
CarlMcDade
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Carl McDade

Post by CarlMcDade » 1 person likes this post

bryanmeche wrote:I have been very disappointed with cloud connect so far. It seems once a month we have some sort of issue with it, and right now I have yet another issue that popped up we opened a ticket on 10 days ago and we have yet to have any movement at all on the ticket. It has been ten days of nothing. We've already had to blow up our entire backup set and start over due to an issue Veeam could not solve, and it worked fine for about a month yet here we are having issues again.

I have backups that are set to only keep 5 restore points, yet they have way over that. Since it's not pruning old backups, I'm quickly running out of storage on my provider's side. There was no warning or error emails or anything, I didn't even know we had an issue until I got a warning I was running low on disk space.

A big problem with cloud connect is the fact when you do have an issue, it's hard to get Veeam to work with both us and the provider. Getting them to work together can be like herding cats. If Veeam is going to list a provider as a partner, a minimum requirement would be Veeam support engineers need dedicated access and contact info for to their support team when they have to gather logs or run tasks on their end. Right now when Veeam needs logs from my provider, it's my job to contact my provider and have them upload logs, or it's my job to schedule a call with a person on their team and a Veeam engineer. Very frustrating.

I don't know if we're stuck with a provider that's not very good, but I really do think Veeam has a lot of work to do with the cloud connect product. It's just, buggy.
I work for a service provider, and personally designed and built our cloud connect infrastructure. In addition, we've been a reseller in the UK for the last 6 years. In my personal experience the Veeam support has been excellent, with most cases resolved on first interaction. The Cloud Connect feature has been stunning, and helped a number of our customers get data efficiently offsite without the need for legacy tape solutions

If you've purchased a managed backup solution from your CSP, they should be responsible for handling the ticket end to end. With their CSP status, they should get at least silver based support with Veeam direct if needed.
mail@carlmcdade.com
http://twitter.com/CarlMcDade
http://www.carlmcdade.com
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

Re: [MERGED] Any suggestions of Veeam Cloud Connect Provider

Post by rntguy »

johnbivol wrote:Hi everyone,
We are using Veeam for more than half a year and love the product. We can't be more satisfied with it. (Located in Midwest, using Hyper-V)
We got to the point where we would like to do some Offsite Backup, or DR and started to look into the Service Providers. Unfortunately it's not easy to call so many of them and keep asking the same questions.
Wanted to ask some users if you can share your success stories with the community who do you use and if you recommend them.
I searched for a post like this, but i don't think there is one, I am sure it will be beneficial for many other users here.

So far i can share with you some, but since we didn't use them, i can't tell what will happen in real life if you go with them:

Quest Technology Management - $0.009 per tb/month for backup. This is a large comany and own their Datacenters
Managecast - $0.06/GB per month, smaller company.
System Solution INC - 0.09 Per GB/month

But would appreciate some feedback from some users that use this for a long time, this would be valuable.
Thanks everyone for your time
This is old, but did you really mean $0.009/month per Terabyte?!? That seems impossible. The other two providers were per GB which is why it got me curious. a petabyte would only cost $9/month :p

Also curious if this is the only charge or is there a support contract, licensing costs, etc?
rodrigo.catarino
Novice
Full Name: Rodrigo Catarino

[MERGED] Cloud Connect Backup Providers

Post by rodrigo.catarino »

Hi everyone,

What is your experience with cloud connect backup providers?
What providers are you currently using with what aditional services and with what data volume are you dealling with?

I am in the process of choosing some providers to request quotations.
What should I look for? WAN accelleration, Disaster recovery as a service, maximum storage provided?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Rodrigo Catarino
Vaedur
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Veeam Cloud Connect w/ Quest Software

Post by Vaedur »

Anyone using Veeam Cloud Connect and pointing at Questsys? They seem pretty reasonable for the amount of data we are going to store, but wnated to know if anyone here has tried this.
VCA, VCP-DCV Vsphere 6.5
tjbennett
Lurker
Full Name: Todd Bennett

[MERGED] Veeam Cloud Connect service provider

Post by tjbennett »

I am looking if anyone has any feedback on if one is better than another and why. Primarily looking to use a provider for offsite Veeam backups.