Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nigdeb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nigel Debattista

will daily backup job still complete while restoring entire VM to new location

Post by nigdeb »

Hi,

I need to restore an entire VM to a new ESXi host, while the restore is running, will the daily backup job still complete successfully? The original VM will not be touched in any way, the user just needs a copy of their VM to a new ESXi Host.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: will daily backup job still complete while restoring entire VM to new location

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Nigel,

Yes, new VM will have a new MoRefID and will be treated completely independent.
Source backup job will continue to work as before.

/Thanks!
nigdeb
Novice

Re: will daily backup job still complete while restoring entire VM to new location

Post by nigdeb »

Hi Egor,

I don't think you understood my question, What I want to know is during the restore process, will the backup job continue to operate normally or will it fail to run until the restore is complete?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

That depends on backup chain mode. Forward incremental chain will process backup if restore is running in parallel.
Restore procedures also have highest priority for scheduling processing resources, for example free task slots will be allocated to restore job over backup job - in case of insufficient resources backup job will wait for resources to become available.
nigdeb
Novice

Post by nigdeb »

Hi Egor,

In fact, the job is set up as forward incremental, therefore the job should run even if the restore ha not completed if I understood correctly