Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
premierplayer
Novice
Liked: never

Will this strategy work?

Post by premierplayer »

I have 2 hosts.

Going to do a forever incremental of all VMs with a retention of 14 days. This is around 700GB of data. Not a whole lot changes daily besides some file server stuff. I will also have a backup copy job that retains 4 weekly, 12 monthly, and 5 yearly. All of this will be pushed to an on-site NAS. After it hits the onsite NAS I would like to push only the 14 days worth of dailys to S3 storage in case of disaster. Anyone running something similar?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Will this strategy work?

Post by foggy »

Looks good to me. Perfectly conforms the notorious 3-2-1 rule (3 backup copies, 2 different media, 1 different location). Hope your NAS will be able to hold the transform load that backup copy will put on it.

Just a small note regarding forever incremental mode - it is still recommended to perform periodic full backups, at least monthly.
premierplayer
Novice

Post by premierplayer »

Any idea what type of NAS would be good for this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can search this forum, using key words, such as NAS, backup, repository, etc. in order to see what other users utilize in the field. As to RAID level, we typically recommend using RAID 10, because, Both 5 and 6 has a certain IOP penalty, which really matters if reversed incremental backup mode is used. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And here's a huge existing topic we typically recommend to review when such questions arise.
premierplayer
Novice

Post by premierplayer »

I am having a hard time figuring out how the cloud backup is going to work. how does it know what files to upload?

I am running incrementla forever with a saturday synthetic. my incrementals are 6GB but I cant have it re-upload the altered 750GB original file.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're referring to the backup copy job, then it does not actually copy/upload backup files. It synthetically creates new files based on the VM data you have in the existing backup chain. You can sync only a couple of VMs from the entire backup repository/backup job. Backup copy job will be using your defined synchronization interval to copy your backup data.
premierplayer
Novice

Post by premierplayer »

I have the backup copy job. Is the best practice to upload that via veeam cloud?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I am having a hard time figuring out how the cloud backup is going to work. how does it know what files to upload?
In order to start uploading backup data to cloud you should create backup plan first. In the setting of backup plan, you can specify what particular restore points should be uploaded to the chosen cloud, how many restore points should be uploaded to the cloud, how many restore points should be kept in the cloud, how often the data should be uploaded, etc.

For more information in regards to cloud edition, please, see corresponding User Guide.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

premierplayer wrote:I have the backup copy job. Is the best practice to upload that via veeam cloud?
If you want to upload your backups to Amazon, then using Veeam Backup Cloud Edition would be the way to go. Please check Vladimir's post for more instructions on how to use Veeam Backup Cloud Edition. Hope this helps!
premierplayer
Novice

Post by premierplayer »

I get an error when I click his link.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »