Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael McKenney

WIndows 7 VEEAM can't connect to Windows 10

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

Windows 7 Pro and 10 Pro are in a workgroup
I can ping IPv4 and IPv6 both ways
I can RDP from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro
Avast premium is installed on both. I have network set to private and allow rules for the entire IPv4 and IPv6 subnet

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1

I can get to admin$ and c$ on Windows 10 from Windows 7. Not a secured way of doing it.

Rescan fails. Why do you need to install the agent from the server? Why can't I install the agent myself and get VEEAM backup to connect to it?
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer

Re: WIndows 7 VEEAM can't connect to Windows 10

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

I shutdown both workstations. Went to work. Came home. I was able to backup Windows 10. How can I do a backup that I can restore single files from? How do I exclude files and folders from the backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

SCSIraidGURU wrote: Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm Why can't I install the agent myself and get VEEAM backup to connect to it?
Actually, you can, the required package can be found in the Veeam B&R installation folder, under the Backup/Packages.
SCSIraidGURU wrote: Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm How can I do a backup that I can restore single files from?
You can restore individual files from any backup using the file-level recovery functionality.
SCSIraidGURU wrote: Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm How do I exclude files and folders from the backup?
You have this ability while creating the backup job.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Also, File Level Backup might be a good choice to backup specific folders by Veeam Agent managed by Veeam B&R.

Thanks!
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

With Symantec Backup Exec, I was able to backup and restore individual files and folders. I could backup the entire Windows workstation and system state. I could drill down into the restore and just pick those files and folders to recover.

I switched to File Level Backup. How do I restore just a few files? I don't want to restore everything.
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

I changed the workstation backup of Windows 10 to file level. Choose all three check boxes. Put in c:\, d:\, e:\, t:\. Excluded the Windows 10 backup drive g:\, t:\swapfile.sys, t:\pagefile.sys. Do I need to enable indexing?
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

How can I overwrite the tapes each time. Each tape has its own media pool. I do a full backup each time to disk. It would be nice if I could set it to overwrite the tape and run the proper backup to tape after. It would even be better if VEEAM could work like every other tape backup product and allow me to write directly to tape.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Setting this up is pretty simple.

Set the protection on the tapes to "Do not protect": https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Each tape will be valid for overwrite from there on out.

A lot of these are read the friendly manual questions or even just read what's in the UI. Maybe just take a bit to review the sections of the guide for the functions you're working with?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

SCSIraidGURU wrote: Jan 23, 2021 2:01 pm I switched to File Level Backup. How do I restore just a few files? I don't want to restore everything.
Please review this user guide section.
SCSIraidGURU wrote: Jan 23, 2021 2:48 pm Do I need to enable indexing?
File indexing allows for searching for individual files inside backups and performing 1-click restore via Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.