Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mteamjpy
Enthusiast
Liked: never

windows flr (transport via network)

Post by mteamjpy »

Hi everybody.

I just been freak out :twisted: by one of veeam technician ref: (00D30RWR._50060Nj8bP:ref ) old case 00170620
FLR very slow/not working

infrastructure is divided between five proxy server and one backup server.
logicaly we put our repository on the proxy server.
during FLR the technician told us that the entire backup file was decompressed on the backup server.

our backup files make multiple tera .......
more it has to copy it from the network.

until now network technician didn't hang me , but please tell me that is not true !!!!!!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: windows flr (transport via network)

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

during FLR the technician told us that the entire backup file was decompressed on the backup server.

I reviewed your case notes and I didn't see anywhere that had this specific statement. I did see that the support engineer needs to transfer data from the repository to the Veeam server, this part is completely true. When performing an FLR, the Veeam server mounts the compressed backup image from the repository. This does not require the transfer of the entire backup file, only of the blocks that are required to mount the volume, and to browse the filesystem, and finally to restore the actual files.

If you are restoring a large file from a remote repository across a WAN, the best option to do this quickly is to install Veeam Free Edition on the remote server and import the specific backup, then perform the restore directly from the repo server.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

Hi tsightler,

Thanks for the reply,

Indeed "during FLR the technician told us that the entire backup file was decompressed on the backup server." was done by phone.
to narrow the issue we install with him the backup console on a proxy server in order to perform the restore locally.
the restore console was not opened after 10 min .
More our next backup was not able to start even after removing the console.

about the block copy :
If my vbk (full then) is 8 TB , this vbk contain a vm of 2 TB from which i wante to restore a 2 MB files

he will need to mount a 2 TB cache (because of full) or a block of 1 gb for example define by the indexation ?

regards

Jean-pol
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mteamjpy wrote:he will need to mount a 2 TB cache (because of full) or a block of 1 gb for example define by the indexation ?
As Tom has already stated above, the only data downloaded from the remote server are a few MFT blocks required to provide the file system state for you to browse it (size depends on the VM size) and compressed blocks belonging to the actually restored file.

You can try to use Other OS restore wizard to restore Windows guest files over WAN. In this case VM virtual disks will be mounted to the appliance VM residing on the repository in the remote site and restore traffic will not go over WAN.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

thanks foggy,
indeed thid was a san connected vm , still we are unable to mount it in acceptable fashion manner, we are using the mount vm option , but thereofr we cannot delegate restore to other site .

regards

Jean-pol