Windows Server 2016 w/ Dedupe or Dedupe Appliance?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Windows Server 2016 w/ Dedupe or Dedupe Appliance?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:10 am 1 person likes this post

That is an interesting concept. Done with Veeam that would mean we first create a volume with NTFS and dedup enabled on it. After that, we create a VM, and attach a disk to it (our repository) and the disks VHDX will be stored on that NTFS volume. Of course, inside that disk, we format as ReFS. So we get the benefit of having the ReFS advantages in our repository, and underneath that we gain from the NTFS dedupe advantages (at least that means that our repository disks are max 4 TB and probably we will use SOBR then to connect multiple repo's)

While it really seems interesting, I do have concerns...

* In this setup, will be not loose some performance that we want to gain by using ReFS?
* Dedup is #1 feature request in ReFS, MSFT might release this quicker and then we can redesign the entire setup again...
* ReFS has disk savings thanks to block clone API, I wonder how much additional savings there will be by placing dedup underneath it
* ReFS with integrity streams on (as we will do in v9.5) is a good solution for running backups on the backup storage, aren't we going to loose that advantage...

Last but not least, the dedup schedule needs to run outside of the backup schedule... Which might become very difficult to achieve

So again, interesting concept, but I would need to do some serious testing on this first because I have more questions for it then I have answers :-)

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 379 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:58 pm

In the design, the VM holding the backups uses simple storage spaces to aggregate 1TB VHDX files into a single disk, so in that case SOBR wouldn't be needed. But I agree the benefits may not be enough over just using a physical server with ReFS.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 59 times

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

UPDATE:

Users are having troubles with Windows Server 2016 deduplication and large files (> 2TB). Please take a look at this topic.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 262 times

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 pm 1 person likes this post

The holy grail will be when Windows supports dedup on ReFS using block cloning. Maybe we'll see that in the 2019 release.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby BradJensen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm

For those of you using Windows Deduplication in Server 2012 or 2016, we have a commercial product that does replication for the deduplicated volume.

This is real replication and does not reflate the deduplicated files.

It runs on the server that host the deduplicated volume, and another copy on the remote server with a deduplicated volume. You can run it on azure or Google Cloud also. You can replicate multiple volumes and to multiple locations.

Basically it allows you to 'roll your own' Data Domain-type appliance at a much lower cost. It can run inside a VM too.

See the 'Replacador' product on LaserVault.com
BradJensen
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Jensen

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Brad,

This sounds like a product that could fill a big need. Windows dedup is great, but it needs replication to really compare to the repository appliances. When I looked on the web site, I couldn't find pricing. Please relay the feedback that transparent pricing would be appreciated. Products that require contacting sales to get pricing information get negative points in our product evaluations.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication