Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Nick-P
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Nick Popov

Wrong free space detection

Post by Nick-P »

I have posted ticket to veeam with case number 03875084.
And due to my using B&R community edition my case wasn't answered and automatically closed in 3 days.
So i decided to write about my case here and ask for help from community.
The problem is that B&R community edition wrongly detect free space on disk where backup storage is located. Operating system shows 190 Gb of free space on disk and B&R refuses to make backup of VM "... due to insufficient free disk space on drive ...". And in log it shows that free space left is 19 Gb.
I don't understand how to make B&R to see real free space on drive?
Any ideas?

Technical data: Backup server is installed on windows 8.1 pro x64 RU. 16 Gb RAM.
Veeam B&R Version 9.5.4.2866 Community edition.
Server has 2x1Tb HDDs attached. First 1Tb Hdd is with OS installed and has more than 300 Gb of free space. Second 1Tb HDD is assigned to be a backup storage and has about 190 Gb of free space.
There is one backup job in B&R which is assumed to perform 1 VM backup with the schedule: 1 full backup weekly and other week day daily diff backups. Size of VM being backuped is 100 Gb. Now there are 8 backup files: 2 of them are .vbk and 6 are .vib. Total space occupied by all these files is 36 Gb.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Wrong free space detection

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Hmm, I'm a little bit confused where about your environment. One the one hand you say that VBR refuses to do a backup. On the other hand you say that you have 8 backup files with 36Gb. That does not match for me :-)

Veeam uses the free space values provided by the OS. So I guess the error message is not about the backup storage / repository.

side note: Veeam does incremental backups. No differential backups.

Best regards,
Hannes
Nick-P
Influencer

Post by Nick-P »

Thanks for prompt answer.
Situation is that i have 8 backup files and further backup process is aborted because R&B thinks that free space is insufficient. I don't want to delete manually backup files to let R&B recalculate free space. I want to understand why this happen and how can I avoid this in future.

About inc and diff backups - i agree, you are right.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

- If you go to backup infrastructure -> Backup Repositories, what amount of free space you can see there?
- How many repositories you have? Are you positive you've selected the right one as the backup job target?
- Also, kindly, open a new ticket and provide its number here (we will make sure internally that the issue is investigated properly)

Thanks!
Nick-P
Influencer

Post by Nick-P »

To veremin:
1. In Backup infrastructure -> backup repositories i can see: only one default backup repository with path d:\backup, capacity: 931.5 Gb, free: 192.8 Gb, used: 36,2 Gb.
2. I have one default repository.
3. I have opened new ticket with number 03883824. I have attached 2 pictures with log screenshot and disk size screenshot.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please add the job debug logs in addition to the screenshots provided in the support ticket. Thanks!
Nick-P
Influencer

Post by Nick-P »

To Vitaly S.:
Where can I get debug logs for the backup job? I can see "Statistics" and "Report" buttons.
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

@Nick-P There is a pretty good KB article that even has an animation: https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
Let me know if it works
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
Nick-P
Influencer

Post by Nick-P » 4 people like this post

This topic can be closed.
The problem is at my side. I erroneously decide that words "production drive D:\" are concerned the drive D:\ of my backup server, while they are about the drive D:\ of my hypervisor host (where VMs are located). I free up drive D:\ of the hypervisor host and backup process goes smooth. New incremental backup file is created.
This information was provided to me in case i opened by support team.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ah, it explains the situation perfectly - as soon as production datastore lacks free space, you get corresponding notification.

Thanks for finding time to come back and update the topic with the found resolution; much appreciated!