Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ksl28
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Kristian Leth

WS2022 - ReFS Memory leak

Post by ksl28 »

Hi,

With the reference to this topic veeam-backup-replication-f2/windows-ser ... 58-60.html , we decided to in-place upgrade our physical repo server from 2019 to 2022.
We used the ISO "SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2022_2108.6_64Bit_English_DC_STD_MLF_X23-03231.ISO", since the latest one is crashing during in-place upgrade (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... ort=oldest).

We then patched the server to the newest CU (2022-08), and have been running for a few days now, and everything seems to be working fine.
But it appears the ReFS memory leak issue is back once again...

Our Repo server normally uses 12-20GB memory, but its constantly using 124GB out of the total 128GB memory in the server.

Have anyone else seen similar issues? Or should we create an ticket with Veeam / Microsoft, to debug further on this?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: WS2022 - ReFS Memory leak

Post by PetrM »

Hi Kristian,

It would be best to work with our support team on it, please don't forget to share a support case ID.

Thanks!
ksl28
Enthusiast

Post by ksl28 » 1 person likes this post

Case opened - 05589605
wilsonmj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Wilson

Post by wilsonmj »

Hello,

Did you get anywhere on this case? I've got two repo's exhibiting this same behavior... RAM starvation renders the server unresponsive shortly after boot. Both servers were recently in-place upgraded from 2019 to 2022. Believe they were previously in-place upgraded from 2016 to 2019, though not sure.

Upgrading the RAM on one of the repo's from 64GB to 196GB (50TB volume) solved the issue for now, but hard to be sure.

On the other repo, I tried the various tunable registry keys ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... usage-refs and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... responsive ), but no change.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael

After reading Kristian's case notes, reinstalling OS on the repository server fixed the problem.
I can not tell what the problem was, but it looks like it was at the kernel level. Hopefully @ksl28 can provide more information from his discussions with Microsoft.

Either way, I recommend you contact our technical support to make sure the problem in your case is not on our end.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ksl28
Enthusiast

Post by ksl28 » 3 people like this post

Hi,

We reached out to Microsoft, since it clearly was an kernel level process that was memory leaking - RAMMap confirmed this.
But since we did an in-place upgrade, Microsoft then think of it as a new system - and Microsoft dont provide support for new systems, unless they previously havent had any issues.

I explained to them that we upgraded from an support version (WS2019) on supported hardware (Dell R640) to a supported version (WS2022), and that the upgrade completed without any issues.
I guess its a "new system" since the OS have changed, but all of the steps towards WS2022 was supported by Microsoft.

But they simply rejected us, with the reason that it was a new system... So we ended up doing a clean installation, and used Veeams amazing support to help us include it in the environment again.

PS: Guess who is actively converting all repos to Linux now, and migrating data from Azure blobs to other S3 vendors now, based on Microsofts lousy reply ;)
jgar
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Garcia

Post by jgar »

Hi,

I got the same issue after in-place upgrading a W2019 server with ReFS repo, that never had any memory issue, to W2022.

I opened a Veeam case, but was told that issue is obviously not from Veeam side..
As to not start arguing, used the following workaround for the moment:

Download the RamMap utility from MS/Sysinternals, and create a scheduled task (say once a day) with this:
RAMMap64.exe -es
This will empty the "system working set", from which the "metafile" cache is part of.

At least it's no longer necessary for us to reboot the server nearly every day to recover from that metafile cache file eating all memory (not even mentioning the jobs that were failing due to that).