Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times

Feature Request: Undo without restarting the source VM

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,

Currently, when we undo the Orchestrator plan, it is trying to restart source VM even if source site isn't available unlike the undo in VBR that is not trying to restart source vm

It will be nice if in the Process replica vm step parameters we could have a option like" Failover Boot source VM" with a Yes/No value.

As an example, to test our DR. we have to shutdown our source datacenter. When we roll back, we have to shutdown the DR. site before powering up the source site. So in that scenario, the undo as it is right now is not working. We have to do a undo from VBR and reset the Orchestration plan after.

Thank you
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Feature Request: Undo without restarting the source VM

Post by Alec King »

Hello Andre,
Certainly, I can take that as a feature request. We could add such options to the Process Replica step.
I'm still curious about your testing procedure, for example do you plan to use Failback? Or Undo is sufficient for your testing method?
Also, as you using the built-in Veeam DataLab testing in VAO? This should enable you to test the replicas without impacting production VMs/data at all.
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Hi Alec,

We are using Datalab to run weekly test, but Datalab cannot reproduce our firewall we cannot test all firewall rules between VLANs.

Our DR testing procedure is a test that we run twice a year and we do it off business hours. We shutdown primary site completely and we are starting the DR site. Everything is tested and when it's done DR site vm are turned off. We do not want to keep any modification from the testing so we are not using failback.

Also, the way our telecom is configured our DR site cannot be up at the same time as our Primary site so undo( as it is right now) or failback is not useful for us.

Thank you
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre,
OK, thanks, now I understand your scenario.
Powering on the source VM was logic we chose by design, as Undo should return you the previous state (we assume production VMs should be powered on)
However we can add a checkbox to "Power On Source VM after Undo" to the step parameters for Process Replica. I cannot promise a timescale/version for implementing that, but I will add it to the list.
Thanks for the feedback!
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Thank you!