Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
davis_b
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Davis

Network Mapping

Post by davis_b »

I am evaluating VAO currently to be sure it can do what we would like for it to do. I am running into an issue I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

I have an application that spans two different VMWare clusters. One VMWare cluster in our internal network and the other VMWare cluster in our DMZ. Both clusters are managed by the same vCenter server and the same VBR server. The DMZ cluster hosts the Web front end web services of the application and the Internal cluster hosts the Component backend/db portion of the application. I am able to setup a plan to test the Component backend and DB's without issue. I am now attempting to setup the plan with the DMZ Web front end servers. All servers are running Windows Server.

I attempted to configure a plan to run the Web front end servers on the DMZ hosts. But since ICMP is disabled, the VAO server is unable to ping the proxy so the process fails. Since everything is held in the "bubble" network, I am attempting to run the Web front end servers on my Internal VMWare cluster. In VBR, I have a virtual lab configured as an advanced single-host networking, added the isolated networks and configured the network settings. In VAO, I have configured network mapping in the the recovery location. I run the plan and all starts to work as planned until I get to the step where the DMZ server is restored and being configured. The restore of the Web front end server completes without issue, and the vmware network adapter is applied correctly, but before the plan tests the network, the vmware network adapter is removed from the vm. I have tried using Advanced multi-host networking in the VBR Virtual lab as well, same behavior.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Network Mapping

Post by Alec King »

Hello Brent,
Thank you for the detailed description! The network mapping in Veeam Orchestrator is one of the more complicated processes. Could you please open a support case? You can submit a ticket here.
Support will assist to capture all the configuration and logs we need to analyse your issue. Thanks!
davis_b
Enthusiast

Post by davis_b »

I have been working with our account SE, and he suggested adding the host I am using to run the plans on, to the DMZ switch so the host has access to the port group from the DMZ. Also remove the network mappings in the recovery location in VAO. So far this is working, maybe not a fix but it's at least working! I'll open a case to see if I can find out more information - i'll report back the findings.
davis_b
Enthusiast

Post by davis_b »

FYI, case# 04946686