Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
davis_b
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Davis

Plan step to delete vm after restore

Post by davis_b »

I don't see this option available but I was hoping there was some way to do this. I have a plan configured to restore X amount of vm's. Is there a way to have the plan restore the vm, test it then delete it before going to the next vm? What I am running into is the datastore I have designated is filling up.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Plan step to delete vm after restore

Post by Mildur »

If you test a plan in VAO, veeam will never restore an entire VM to the datastore.
Veeam leverage VAO Datalabs (based on VBR Virtual Labs and Instant VM Recovery) to test the restore of VMs in VAO Plans.
After a VM was tested, it will be automatically removed. A VM will never be entirely restored to the datastore in orchestration plans testing.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
davis_b
Enthusiast

Post by davis_b »

Interesting, I am doing the "Run DataLab test", I don't have a scheduled lab test setup at this time. Are you saying the scheduled data lab test will run differently? I have scheduled now to start in a few minutes to find out.

I have my test plan doing a full restore to a datastore, I can see the vm's being restored. After VM1 is complete and moves to the next, VM1 is not deleted when the step goes to the next vm.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Do you have started a Full Test? Then you are right, all vms will be restored as you have configured in your Restore Plan, before they are deleted.

Testing the restore plan will follow a real DR scenario. If you need to start the restore plan in case of an emergency, then all vms in the restore plan needs to be restored. You need to have the storage at the target location, if not, your restore will not work if you need todo a DR.

The quick Test would do only instant vm recovery for testing the backups.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vao/u ... tml?ver=40
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
davis_b
Enthusiast

Post by davis_b »

Yea that makes sense what you are saying. We are mainly using VAO to test our backups and not for DR scenario's at the moment. So I don't need all of the VM's to restore and be available at one in this case. I guess I'll just have to break up the plans to accommodate the size of the datastore. Or I wonder if I could create a custom step that is a VMWare script to delete the vm' after it's tested.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

You could certainly write a script and use it in a Custom Script Step in Orchestrator.

There are numerous parameters that you can pass into Custom Scripts, such as %current_vm_name%, which would allow your script to find the correct VM in vCenter.

You can also send script output to the Orchestrator reports.

Full guide is here -Adding Custom Scripts to Orchestrator