Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Proper support offering?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Is there any plans to have a proper support offering for VEB?

I am trying to deploy it to some sites and the lack of a proper support offering is making me look elsewhere. I understand that the product is free and support (if any) is basic at best, but surely there is a market for a paid offering for those that want to avail themselves of it?

Perhaps even make it just available to those who have an active VBR paid subscription?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Proper support offering?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Could you please share your thoughts on what's wrong, in your opinion, with the current Veeam Endpoint support? Also you can post any product related questions on this board, we are glad to be of help.

Thank you.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Re: Paid support offering?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi,

It all about timing. You work in IT, you know that there are some times that you just have a small amount of time to work on something and when you have an issue, you need to get it fixed. Don't get me wrong, I am not having a go at the product or you guys, I am just saying, i think there is a market for software support for this product for those of us that use it and rely on it.

As for what I think is wrong with the offering at the moment, lets not say 'whats wrong' lets just say, 'what isnt aligned with a busy It department'

from your very own link:
"Let’s make sure we are on the same page from the very beginning: free product support is provided on best effort basis, which means there is no SLA on responses like with regular support for our paid products"

Perhaps I should have named this thread "Paid support offering" as opposed to proper. Proper insinuates something that I did not mean. feel free to change it on the back end

Perhaps
Cheres,
Aaron
aaron@ARB
Expert

Re: Paid support offering?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Example being at the moment, I have a few spare hours that I would like to work on the issue that I am having with

veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/backup-seedin ... 66-15.html

If there was paid support I would call and we could work through it, but as the arrangements currently stand, I have sent off a support request through the application which I have no visibility on, I have no say / control over how or when it will be worked on and no idea if i should persevere or just begin looking for another solution. Problem with that is that as with most things, you want to try and have a consistent backup approach and use the same tool (or same companies tools) for the whole backup process rather than different vendors which is why VEB is useful as it integrates but its usefulness becomes limiting if you cant seed backups (in my usage case anyway, i just cant transfer 80gb over a weekend from this particular site)
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

See, now I really need the job that I logged fixed. So much so that I am being told to look to look at other products, and I don't want multiple backup solutions so it's going to mean that we may have to replace veeam through the enterprise if we can't get it fixed.. THIS is why paid support is useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Aaron,

A lot of information and we like it. We are looking into a few things for the next version and all of this information on the table during discussions gives us good discussion points so thank you very much for it. I won't and can't make any promises but we are certainly looking at it, and you are certainly also not the first one asking for this ;-)

Thanks

Mike
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

No worries mike, support is a big issue for our company (and many more I suspect) whose management shy away from products without active support arrangements (for reasons like what I am experiencing) it's all about managing risk.

Thanks again
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

After some recent discussions, paid supported offering is planned for later this year.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

That's important, and very welcome news.
As an organization, we have to abide by certain rules to allow us connections to certain networks.
One of them is that all software on our estate must be supportable.

That doesn't mean that the software has to be commercial, non-free/GPL etc, or that a paid support contract has to be in place.
In its simplest form, it means if support is ever required urgently - it must be available, even in a Pay As You Go scenario.

This has prevented us from considering Endpoint Backup on our estate - which is only a few physical hosts away from being 100% virtual.
For this reason, keeping a second backup solution in place has been required.

It may sound odd, considering the software doesn't need to change in any way - but the existence of an official support channel can make a big difference to commercial adoption.
And I'm sure we're not the only organization that is 99.9% virtualized.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

EXACTLY the same with us